It is currently Thu 28 May 2020 02:19 GMT
Change font size

France - Other

Returning to the UK

Please post here only if your posting doesn't seem to belong on any of the other France forums - but please don't use it to post loads of questions about buying a house, schools, work etc. Please post separate threads on the appropriate forums. (NB - if you want to post about something not France-specific, please post on the main British Expat Forum.)

Returning to the UK

Postby Mandylou » Mon 17 Jun 2013 18:57 GMT

After living in France since 2009 I am going home to the UK - to be honest, I can't wait, have a house lined up (renting) both my properties here sold at a massive loss of course, due to buying high and having to sell low..(one is completing soon) - now what happens? I can't find any info about re-joining the UK! I know it sounds daft but I've forgotten so much about the admin side of things - how do I register for Council Tax, etc? What about tax authorities? (I was registered in the UK as a self-employed artist, and received tax-credits). I have lived off the rents from two holiday lets here (very thinly) and my tax affairs in France are in order. What about National Insurance? I haven't paid anything to the UK, or drawn anything either, since leaving. The only contact I have had with the Taxman has been a constant attempt to let him know where I am - and him saying he doesn't know. How do I get round this? Obviously I need to contact SOMEONE in that department, but what happens when they ignore emails and letters? Is there a relevant department to call?
Posted by:
Mandylou

Postby Dave » Tue 18 Jun 2013 00:51 GMT

Hi, Mandylou, and welcome.

Please have a look at the Repatriation board on our general forum - we keep all the stuff about going back to the UK on there, as it makes sense to have all the information in one place rather than spread across several fora.

If you don't find the information you need there, then please do repost your message above on that board and I'm sure someone will be along to reply before too long. :-)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to France - Other