It is currently Fri 19 Oct 2018 13:46 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Ghana – Quick Quiz
    The cradle of the Ashanti Empire and known to mediaeval European explorers as the Gold Coast, Ghana was the first country in Western Africa to achieve independence. But how much do you know about it?

Fault reports

Database failure – 6 May 2008

This is a forum where Site Admins can post to keep you informed about known faults and their status.

Database failure – 6 May 2008

Postby Dave » Tue 6 May 2008 15:55 GMT

As some of you may have noticed, we had a database failure at about 1500 GMT on 6 May.

Unfortunately, in trying to fix it, I hit the wrong button on the back office database control panel - the button to delete the entire forum database.

You'd think they'd have a “Do you really wish to delete the whole database?” reconfirmation button, wouldn't you? Apparently not. So the whole database vanished without trace.

I'd taken a backup, of course. However, in trying to restore the backup, I found that about 30% of the data was lost.

We've managed to get the fora up and running again now, but we've had to go back to the update taken at 00:05 GMT on 5 May.

Apologies to anyone who's lost postings as a result of the loss of data. We'll do our best to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Sorry for the inconvenience. We hope you'll continue to use and enjoy our free service.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Tue 6 May 2008 18:42 GMT

Nothing mission critical in forum postings, anyway. It does seem that interface designers have a habit of including 'do you really mean that?' in trivial places and forgetting it in the critical ones.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Tue 6 May 2008 19:18 GMT

My thoughts exactly, Ruggie. I can't even move, or delete, a posting here without being asked if I'm sure. Yet the system apparently just let Dave delete the whole database. :shock: :roll:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Wed 7 May 2008 19:26 GMT

I'm not talking specifically about the forum. It seems to happen everywhere.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Dave » Thu 8 May 2008 06:24 GMT

Our webmail system actually has not one, but two reconfirmations if you want to delete a user - even if it's one who hasn't made it past the approval system in the first place. :roll:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Fault reports