It is currently Wed 17 Oct 2018 23:05 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Ghana – Quick Quiz
    The cradle of the Ashanti Empire and known to mediaeval European explorers as the Gold Coast, Ghana was the first country in Western Africa to achieve independence. But how much do you know about it?

Fault reports

Forum - slow running

This is a forum where Site Admins can post to keep you informed about known faults and their status.

Forum - slow running

Postby Dave » Fri 13 Aug 2010 13:04 GMT

The exchange below was posted on the Recommended Suppliers board on the Malta forum:

wendy.bruce2 wrote:Posted: Wed 28 Jul 2010 18:00
Post subject: Website
Is it just me, or is the new website layout difficult to navigate?

gozomark wrote:Post Posted: Wed 28 Jul 2010 19:37

its new and different, so likely to take some getting used to, with buttons and menus not quite where or how they used to be - hopefully once we get used to it, it will be better than before. My concern is that currently its somewhat slower to download than before.

JJ wrote:Post Posted: Wed 28 Jul 2010 21:19

Slower to the extent that at busy periods it often fails with SQL errors or timeouts in my experience. I believe Kev is working on performance generally so I think the official line is to give it the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

justfran wrote:Post Posted: Fri 13 Aug 2010 08:49

I find it very slow..almost sluggish now....and I have twice tried to post about my iminenent (sp) arrival on a new topic and they both just disapeared...POOF.....gone ?
It a pity as I like this forum but it too slow and it winds me up....lol

wendy.bruce2 wrote:Post Posted: Fri 13 Aug 2010 09:40

Yes, I had the same thing happen to me last month - "POOF gone" describes the experience very aptly!!

justfran wrote:Post Posted: Fri 13 Aug 2010 09:47

lol I can only assume my posts are in cyberspace somewhere...
I do love this site though but find it heavy almost when trying to scroll up or down...
I wanted to say I will be In malta on the 6th September to start my new life..hubby is coming and then coming back and forth for a while...while I look for ways to make an income...
fran

wendy.bruce2 wrote:Post Posted: Fri 13 Aug 2010 10:09

It has occurred to me Mark (or whoever is in charge of these things) that it would be useful to have a page on the website, showing new postings for the previous week (or even month) so that we can just quickly look at that and see if there is anything of interest. At present I only log on if I have a specific reason to do so, and consequently I must miss pretty well all the other postings as it's just luck if I happen to be traweling through other subjects and find new messages. I assume other people must have the same problem and I have noticed that it is often the case that replies to my topics generally come from yourself or another member of the "team" and not much from other forum users (yes, I Know, I should have more interesting topics!!), and I wonder if that is because people aren't aware that a message has been posted. If I could log on once a week and see what was going on on one page (obviously just links to other pages) then I would get far more benefit from the website and so, I imagine, would others. Anyway, just a thought.

wendy.bruce2 wrote:Post Posted: Fri 13 Aug 2010 10:13

Best of luck Fran. We love it here, the Maltese are lovely (apart from the bus drivers!) and the sunshine is such a contrast to gloomy old UK!!

justfran wrote:Post Posted: Fri 13 Aug 2010 10:28

Thanks
...I am excited.....just been reading up on lots of stuff re licences to trade etc etc etc.....my heads spinning.....I think I will wait till we are there...do a list and get to work on it....
I am looking forward to some sun on my bones.....meeting old friends and making new ones....I know the grass isnt always greener but things are what you make of them good or bad....
I actually FEAR for the way the UK is turning.....I really do.
Roll on 6th September....sorry I went off topic !!
Fran

johnofessex wrote:Post Posted: Fri 13 Aug 2010 11:22

wendy.bruce2 wrote:it would be useful to have a page on the website, showing new postings for the previous week (or even month) so that we can just quickly look at that and see if there is anything of interest.

Wendy, I use the "View unread posts" facility (at the top of the forum, more or less underneath the words "Online advice") to do something pretty much like that. Providing you've signed in, it shows you all the posts you haven't read. I wonder whether you're looking for something different from that, or whether you might have missed it?
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby wendy.bruce2 » Fri 13 Aug 2010 15:38 GMT

Thanks John, yes it would appear to be what I was thinking about more or less. Took me ages to find the "View unread posts" (and for that matter to even find the "Online Advice"!! The links are so small, I just miss things. Most of the time I can't find my way to the home page (when I use the "Home" button, I end up on the International website!! I fear it is due to advancing years, I find all the new technologies very hard to deal with - you'd think technology would make things easier - ha ha!!
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
wendy.bruce2
Supporter

Forum - slow running

Postby Trev » Fri 13 Aug 2010 17:05 GMT

Dave/Kev - could you position these......................

'You last visited on Fri 13 Aug 2010 08:03'

'You have no unread posts View your posts View unanswered posts'

underneath, or above, these...............

'Log out xxx You have no new messages Profile Search Forum'

That way all the personal housekeeping bits are together, and it would make it easier for people to find 'unread posts' link?
Trev & Vania - Varna - Bulgaria

http://www.tcinbg.net
Posted by:
Trev
Supporter

Postby KevJ » Wed 18 Aug 2010 08:35 GMT

We will review the positioning of items sure.

I will address this concern -
My concern is that currently its somewhat slower to download than before

This should not be an issue as the old site used to be rendered in quirks mode and also had no compression. The new pages are significantly smaller in file size than previous.
We are working on some consolidation things.

Also links have purposely been made bigger (and more accessible with either icon changes and/or hover statuses to indicate links) all over the site and often very clearly labelled such as the top header links compared to the original site/fora header links.

Some functionality has been shifted so that members who subscribe get more added functionality, this will always be the case.
I suspect an RSS feed on new forum posts might be a good addition for members wanting to get some of the latest posts quickly (by subscribing to the relative RSS feed). So we may look at creating an rss feed for the forums.

However, you may not be aware of how the forum operates - New posts are shown via cookies set when logged in/out and new posts are shown depending on last visit/last login. So the very core of the forum uses cookies, which are machine dependant. (the forum does not support RSS feeds, however there is a mod to add an RSS feed, so as above I suspect something like the above would be useful. However this may come with a caveat in that only public sections/posts will be shown initially)
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
KevJ
Free member

Postby gozomark » Wed 18 Aug 2010 08:59 GMT

Thanks Kev.

The site is still running much slower than previously - so much so, I've given up posting some replies where it involved cutting and pasting from a post in one thread to another as having more than one page of BE open at the same time means my PC grinds to a halt. There is still the issue of CPU usage spiking every few seconds - the timing coincides with when the banner "Latest Comments on British Expat Website Posts " updates
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby KevJ » Wed 18 Aug 2010 09:06 GMT

I suspected the javascript animations would be the main issue you were experiencing Mark.

The site is a lot quicker than previous, for example this page is only 21k where previously it would have been at least double. Suspect it's more to do with the animation/timers, possible GDI objects.
Have you got the latest graphics card drivers installed? I ask as I can't assume and obviously want to help ;)

There are currently 3 timers running on the main site and 2 for the forum (2nd one runs when in viewtopic mode (which is this one "Latest Comments on British Expat Website Posts")).
What processor are you running? For example scrolling the page down whether it was the old forum or new still results in a cpu spike as the page scrolls, no getting away from that issue. However I will be looking to reduce any spikes from animations etc...
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
KevJ
Free member

Postby gozomark » Wed 18 Aug 2010 09:09 GMT

my PC is old and slow, but BE is by far the slowest of all the sites I visit regularly - yep, latest drivers installed

CPU spikes when I'm doing nothing
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Wed 18 Aug 2010 09:12 GMT

I have the same issues of speed and spikes (although less pronounced) when using an almost new laptop as well
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby KevJ » Wed 18 Aug 2010 09:22 GMT

Yep, the timers stop for no-one heheh ;)

I'm working on some optimisations today, these will be pushed over to the test forum at some point and should prove to be going in the right direction.
Also will look at fixing that issue with the ad authorising bug. If you can help test that on the forum when I've fixed it and the above that would be great.
Posted by:
KevJ
Free member

Postby KevJ » Wed 18 Aug 2010 15:11 GMT

Yay, when the test forum is updated things should be a lot smoother with the changes I've made, currently they're on my dev box.

During looking at one particular issue with the cpu spikes I came across this issue:- JQuery is coming out with an error in the console with a dangling combinator on a pseudo-element. This is a known issue with JQuery - http://dev.jquery.com/ticket/4774

Mark, you can set the error console to not log css errors, that might help the old pc or cpu spikes a bit as the main spikes are when the error is being created/written to the console.

If you open Error console in Firefox, you should see lots of errors from various sites. If you open a new tab and type in about:config and go down to layout.css.report_errors; double click this so its set to false.

The other changes I've made I will put a change log up as and when. Changing the speed of the duration of the animation (not the regular timing aspect) has significantly reduced any cpu spikes from the moving sections.
Posted by:
KevJ
Free member

Postby gozomark » Wed 18 Aug 2010 16:19 GMT

OK, on the Malta forum its still spiking to 50%, but only every 15 seconds rather than every 6 seconds, whereas on this forum its still spiking every 6 seconds to 90%
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Wed 18 Aug 2010 16:25 GMT

the " British Expat at a glance" banner is causing a spike - if I turn that off, then its much better
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Thu 16 Sep 2010 12:47 GMT

Well, we've made some tweaks - is it any faster now than it was this time last week?
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Thu 16 Sep 2010 13:34 GMT

on my old PC, CPU usage

18/8 - Malta forum its spiking to 50%, but only every 15 seconds rather than every 6 seconds, whereas on this forum its still spiking every 6 seconds to 90%

today - Malta forum its still spiking to 50% every 15 seconds (no change), whereas on this forum its still spiking every 6 seconds, but to 50%

the dowload speed of a page has improved, from maybe 20-30 secs to 15-20 secs - the things thats taking the time are google-analytics.com and paypal.com

all the above is with firefox

on my laptop, download speed halved to 2-3 secs (using IE)
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Thu 16 Sep 2010 14:39 GMT

Thanks, Mark. Interesting to hear what's causing the delays - I'll see if anything can be done to speed those items up a bit, eg hosting our own button rather than linking to PayPal's.
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Next

Return to Fault reports