It is currently Sat 22 Feb 2020 15:49 GMT
Change font size

Residency status and immigration issues

new procedures for eResidence document application

Permanent Residency, Ordinary Residency or Temporary Residency? It depends on your financial circumstances, not on how much time you will spend in Malta. Getting it wrong could cost you dearly!

new procedures for eResidence document application

Postby gozomark » Fri 3 May 2013 08:41 GMT

http://mhas.gov.mt/en/MHAS-Information/ ... dence.aspx
http://mhas.gov.mt/en/MHAS-Information/ ... stions.pdf

The following is the contents of the FAQ in the 2nd link

Frequently Asked Questions

I need to renew my ID card, which forms do I fill up?

First of all the e residence document is not an ID card but a residence document that serves identification purposes and will include an ID number. There are two forms that need to be filled up: •

The application form that refers to the grounds on which you wish to reside in Malta.

The identity registration form (ID1A) which is the same for all categories of applicants whether EU or Non-EU.

If you are an EU/EEA/Swiss national you will be required to fill up one of these forms

Form A- in case one is employed or self employed
Form F- Family member (including Family members who are Third Country Nationals)
Form J- Economic Self Sufficiency
Form M- Student
Form P-Permanent Resident.
If you are married to a Maltese national (all nationals), you will need to fill up Form E- Exempt Person Status
If you are a permanent resident under the Permanent Residence Scheme Regulations (all nationals)
Form S- Permanent Residence Scheme.

If you are a Non-EU national you need to select one of the following forms:

CEA Form B- Blue Card
CEA Form C- Employment/Self Employment
CEA Form G- Family Member
CEA Form I- International Protection
CEA Form K- Economic Self Sufficiency
CEA Form L- Long Term Residents
CEA Form N- Study
CEA Form O- Partners
CEA Form O- Religious Purposes
CEA Form O-Posted Workers
CEA Form O- Temporary
CEA Form O- Health Purposes
CEA Form O- Working Holiday
CEA Form O- Humanitarian Grounds
CEA Form O Pensioners.

Is there an application fee?

If you are an EU/EEA/Swiss National or family members thereof there is no application fee in respect of your applications. However in case that your residence document has been lost, stolen, destroyed or defaced the applicable fee is as follows:
In case the document has been lost, stolen or destroyed : 20 Euros
In case the document has been defaced : 15 Euros
Non-EU nationals are required to pay a fee of 25 Euros which covers the period of one
year or part thereof.
Persons who are married to Maltese nationals and who enjoy Exempt Person Status are
exempt from the payment of the fee.
Long term Residents are required to pay the fee for a five year permit amounting to 125 Euros upon application.
Persons enjoying International Protection who have just been released from detention are
exempt from payment of the fee.

What is the difference between form ID1A and ID2?

Form ID1A needs to be filled in by all those persons applying in person at the Department who are 14 years and above. For those persons sending in their application by post (EU nationals and housebound persons) apart from the ID1A, the form ID2 needs tobe filled up additionally. A colour passport size photo on a white background needs to be provided.

Which Documents do I need to present with the application?

The list of documents applicable for each category is to be found on each form. If one is
an EU national and has already been issued with a registration certificate, all one has to do is to submit the original and copy of the registration certificate together with the forms. .

Do I need to come in Person?

If you are a Non-EU nationals need to come in person as the Department will take the biometrics consisting of the photo, fingerprints and signature of each applicant.
If you are an EU/EEA/Swiss national you may send in their application by post. It is important to note that the photo and photocopy of the passport or foreign ID of EU nationals needs to be authenticated by one of the following: a public officer not below the grade of Principal or analogous grade, a professional person, a Minister for Religion or any other person of similar standing.

Do I need an appointment to submit my application or do I just come?

The Department is no longer giving appointment and applicants can come to apply from Monday to Thursday from 8.30 am till 15.30 pm. Persons arriving without an appointment will be given a number. Only a limited number of places per day are available for those persons without a prior appointment. Appointments already given are still valid. Fridays will continue to be reserved for persons enjoying international protection.

What are the opening hours of the Department?

The Department is open from Monday to Thursday from 8.30 am till 15.30 pm. Friday is reserved for persons enjoying International Protection.

Where do I have to submit my application?

Applications are submitted at the Department which is situated on the 2nd floor of 3, Castille Place, Valletta.

What do I do once I arrive at the Department?

If you had been given an appointment, your name will be on the list of appointments and your name will be called by officers in Room 6. If you do not have an appointment, a number will be given to you. Only a limited number of places per day are available for those persons without a prior appointment.

Can I send in my application by Post?

As has already been indicated, Non-EU nationals need to apply in person since the Department will take biometrics on the spot. EU/EEA/Swiss nationals and members of their families have the option to send in their application and accompanying documentation by post.Apart from the application form for residence, in sending your application by post you will need to fill up the form ID1A and ID2 providing a recent colour passport size photo on a white background. Moreover the photo and photocopy of the passport or foreign ID card needs to be authenticated by one of the following: a public officer not below the grade of Principal or analogous grade, a professional person, aMinister for Religion or any other person of similar standing. Moreover in case of EU nationals who were never issued an ID card before, you will need to fill up the Electoral Form indicating whereyou wish to vote for EP elections for inclusion in the Electoral Register.

I am housebound, can I send in my application by post?

If you are an EU national or Non-EU national and you are housebound (as attested by a medical certificate), then you can send in your application form, accompanying documents, forms ID1A and ID2 by post.

Where do I need to send in my application?

The application needs to be addressed to Director Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs Department for Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs 3, Castille Place Valletta

How long will the processing of my application take ?

The application will take a few weeks to be processed. The Department needs to be informed at least two weeks in advance in case of urgent travel.

Where do I collect my residence document?

Once printed, the card would need to be collected in person from 172 Melita street, Valletta following a notification to this effect sent from our Department. This office is open on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 8.30 am till 11.30am am.

Which documents do I need to present when collecting the residence document?

You will need to present the receipt of your application as well as the ID card issued to you by the Electoral Office (if any). In the case that this card has been lost or stolen, a police report would have to be presented with the application.
Last edited by gozomark on Sun 21 Jul 2013 18:34 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Mon 27 May 2013 14:43 GMT

THE FAQ has been changed

Frequently Asked Questions

1. I need to renew my ID card, which form is relevant to my application?

In order to apply for the eResidence document, which is also an identification document,
one needs to present two forms:
•The application form that refers to the purpose for which one wishes to reside in Malta.
•The identity registration form (ID1A) which is the same for all categories of applicants whether EU or Non-EU.
If one is an EU/EEA/Swiss national or a family member of an EU/EEA/Swiss national one will be required to present one of these forms:
CEA Form A Employed or self employed persons
CEA Form E Exempt Person Status- For persons married to Maltese nationals (all nationals).
CEA Form F Family members (including family members who are Third Country Nationals).
CEA Form J Economic Self Sufficient persons.
CEA Form M Students.
CEA Form P Permanent Residents.
CEA Form S Permanent Residence Scheme – all nationals.

If you are a Non-EU national you need to select one of the following forms:
CEA Form B Blue Card.
CEA Form C Employed/Self Employed Person.
CEA Form E Exempt Person Status- For persons married to Maltese nationals (all nationals).
CEA Form G Family Members.
CEA Form I International Protection.
CEA Form K Economic Self Sufficient Persons.
CEA Form L Long Term Residents.
CEA Form N Study.
CEA Form O Partners.
CEA Form O Religious Purposes.
CEA Form O Posted Workers.
CEA Form O Temporary.
CEA Form O Health Purposes.
CEA Form O Working Holiday.
CEA Form O Humanitarian Grounds.
CEA Form O Pensioners.
CEA Form S Permanent Residence Scheme – all nationals.

2. Is there an application fee?

There is no application fee if one is an EU/EEA/Swiss National or a family member of an EU/EEA/Swiss national. However in cases where a residence document is lost, stolen, destroyed or defaced a fee will have to be paid as follows:
• In case the document has been lost, stolen or destroyed: €20
•In case the document has been defaced: €15
Non-EU nationals are required to pay a fee of €25 which will entitle the applicant to a document covering the period of one year or part thereof.
Persons who are married to Maltese nationals and who enjoy Exempt Person Status are exempt from the payment of the fee.
Long term Residents are required to pay the fee for a five year permit amounting to €125 Euros upon application.
Persons enjoying International Protection who have just been released from detention are exempt from paying a fee.

3.What is the difference between form ID1A and ID2?

Form ID1A needs to be presented by all those persons (above the age of 14) who apply in person at the Department. .
Persons sending in their application by post (EU nationals and persons who are housebound) are required to submit:
•the application form relating to the purpose of residence and accompanying documentation,
•the form ID1A, the form ID2 and
•a passport size photo of the applicant taken on a white background and preferably on non glossy paper. The subject must be facing straight to the camera and must have a neutral expression. The photographs should be taken full face without hat
and not wearing tinted glasses. Slot machine photographs, textured photographs, group photographs, inferior quality photographs and photographs subject to fading or sensitive to heat, are not acceptable
4. Which Documents do I need to present with the application?

The list of documents applicable for each category is to be found on each form. If one is an EU national and has already been issued with a registration certificate, all one has to do is to submit the original and copy of the registration certificate together with the forms.
5. Do I need to apply in Person?

Non-EU nationals are requested to come in person to the Department since biometrics need to be captured as per Council Regulation (EC) No 1030/2002 of 13 June 2002 laying down a uniform format for residence permits for third-country nationals as amended by Council Regulation (EC) No 380/2008 of 18 April 2008. If one is an EU/EEA/Swiss national or a family member of a EU/EEA/Swiss national, one may send the application by post. The photograph and photocopy of the passport or foreign ID of EU nationals must be authenticated by either one of the following:
- a public officer not below the grade of Principal or analogous grade,
- a police officer
- a professional person,
- a Minister for Religion or any other person of similar standing.
When an application is sent by post, original documentation need not be posted with the application

6. Do I need an appointment to submit my application?

The Department is no longer taking appointments and
applicants may apply personally
from Monday to Thursday from 8.30am till 3.30pm.
Appointments already made are however, still valid.
Only persons enjoying International Protection are
seen on Fridays.

7. Where do I have to present my application?

Applications are to be presented at the Department which is situated on the 2nd floor of 3, Castille Place, Valletta.

8. What do I do once I arrive at the Department?

If one has been given an appointment, his or her name will be called by an officer in Room 6. If one does not have an appointment, a queuing number will be given.

9. Can I send in my application by Post?

As has already been indicated, Non-EU nationals need to apply in person since the Department will need to capture the biometrics of the applicant.
EU/EEA/Swiss nationals and members of their family have the option to send in their application and accompanying documentation by post. Apart from the application relating to the purpose of residence, form ID1A and ID2 also need to be provided together with a recent photo in colour. Moreover the photo and photocopy of the passport or foreign ID card must be authenticated by one of the following persons mentioned in question 5.
Moreover in case of EU nationals who were never issued with a Maltese ID card, the Electoral Form indicating where one wishes to vote for European Parliament elections and inclusion in the Electoral Register also needs to be presented.

10. I am housebound, can I send in my application by post?

If one is housebound (as attested by a medical certificate), one can send in the application form, accompanying documents, forms ID1A and ID2 by post.

11. Where do I need to send in my application?

The application needs to be addressed to
Director Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs
Department for Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs
2nd floor, 3, Castille Place
Valletta

12. How long will it take to process my application ?

The application will take a few weeks to be processed. The Department must be informed in advance in case of urgent travel.

13. Where do I collect my residence document?

Following a notification to this effect sent by the Department the document must be collected in person from 172 Melita Street, Valletta.
The office is open on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 8.30a.m. till 11.30a.m.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Mon 27 May 2013 14:54 GMT

I suggest clicking on the link to the actual FAQ as it might change again - I've cut and pasted here just in case the link fails
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Dundazi » Sun 21 Jul 2013 18:12 GMT

as a pensioner couple receiving a basic uk state pension we cannot work out if we need to fill out CEA O Pensioners or CEA k economic self sufficiency help would be appreciated
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Dundazi
Premium Member

Postby gozomark » Sun 21 Jul 2013 18:14 GMT

O is for non-EU
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Dundazi » Mon 22 Jul 2013 05:53 GMT

thankyou so much
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Dundazi
Premium Member

Postby Dundazi » Tue 23 Jul 2013 13:29 GMT

it seems to me thst the requirement for a Briish Uk pensioner couple on basic state pension is form J economic self sufficency

question1 do we to fill one each

question 2 do we need to get a certificate of health requirement we do not need or have comp med ins we have a reciprical health care with the uk

so apart from the two forms "J "one each I think we need only to then supply proof of uk pension / any saving /bonds etc and passports each is that right

I then present them to Castille Place mon to thurs would i be able to do that on the spot or do I have to wait for an appointment to do it how long would all this take.
Posted by:
Dundazi
Premium Member

Postby gozomark » Tue 23 Jul 2013 13:44 GMT

yes

yes - get the RHA

yes

you can't make an appointment, but can go in person or apply by post
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Dundazi » Tue 23 Jul 2013 14:47 GMT

thank-you once again will we ever make it through......... help by getting Malta residency are we renouncing our rights to still receive UK benefits that we can get as an EU citizen such as Attendance allowence
Posted by:
Dundazi
Premium Member

Postby gozomark » Tue 23 Jul 2013 15:29 GMT

it depends on the benefit - some are transferable, others aren't

https://www.gov.uk/moving-or-retiring-abroad
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby SteveGill » Sun 6 Oct 2013 19:10 GMT

I am an EU national, and I have an old ID card AND I have a (2011) residence certificate. Having just moved a few weeks ago, I'm preparing to join in the fun and games and get a new ID/residence certificate :brickwall:

The FAQ says "If one is an EU national and has already been issued with a registration certificate, all one has to do is to submit the original and copy of the registration certificate together with the forms". It then goes on to say "When an application is sent by post, original documentation need not be posted with the application".

I read into this that I only need to fill in:
1. the main form (J for economic self sufficiency in my case),
2. Form ID 1A, and
3. Form ID2.

I then post these 3 forms with a photocopy of both my ID card and my residence certificate - and sit back and wait :)

So no originals get sent, nor any supporting documentation like proof of income or health cover.

Does that sound correct?
Posted by:
SteveGill
Premium Member

Postby gozomark » Sun 6 Oct 2013 20:08 GMT

That is correct - however, based on what others have found, they may contact you asking for extra docs anyway ! If you have the docs to hand, maybe simpler just to send copies
Last edited by gozomark on Sun 6 Oct 2013 20:13 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Sun 6 Oct 2013 20:10 GMT

You have to send photos as well, and have them and the copies of any docs certified
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby SteveGill » Sun 6 Oct 2013 20:24 GMT

gozomark wrote:That is correct - however, based on what others have found, they may contact you asking for extra docs anyway ! If you have the docs to hand, maybe simpler just to send copies

gozomark wrote:You have to send photos as well, and have them and the copies of any docs certified

I'll send (certified) photocopies of bank statements and private health cover entitlement to be safe - thanks Mark!
Posted by:
SteveGill
Premium Member

Postby Terrakka » Thu 10 Oct 2013 09:47 GMT

I posted my application at the end of July and two days ago I got a letter saying my "residence permit card / document" is ready for collection. I went there this morning and was asked for my blue letter. I said I have no idea what the blue letter was and was directed to a room in order to obtain one. The room had about 50 people in it.
What is the point in be allowed to apply by post and then have to queue up anyway?

I walked out without the card :-( I will have to day a half day off someday and bring some music in to occupy me for the hours I will be queuing up.
Posted by:
Terrakka
Supporter

Next

Return to Residency status and immigration issues