Moving to Gozo!

Can't decide where on the islands to live? Find out more about the best and worst places here!

Moving to Gozo!

Postby davej » Thu 14 Jul 2005 20:04

After weighing all the pros and cons we have decided to move to Gozo for a better life. My missis gets the lovely job of working in London to get the dough and hopefully I will retire with our son who is 6.

We are coming out on holiday to look for a property in Gozo at the end of August. Can anybody recommend villiages on Gozo, this is to give us some idea of what areas to look for property.

Also with regards to furniture is it better to buy in the UK and ship over or is resonably priced / easy to get in Malta/Gozo.

If any one fancies meeting up for a beer to discuss Gozo in exchange for goodies from the UK let us know......

Cheers
Dave
davej

Postby Tim » Thu 14 Jul 2005 21:49

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum. You found the right place to discuss Gozo - most of the regulars here live there! If I'm around I'll look forward to a pint with you and I expect some of the others will too!

As for the choice of a village, it depends on your priorities really. Do you want to be in a fairly busy place with lots of restaurants nearby, or somewhere quieter where the tourists don't go?

What about schooling for your son? Scotdiver gave up on the local schools because of their emphasis on religious education, I think, and his kids now go to a school on Malta.

I think the best prospects for views, either from home, or from a short walk, are in Nadur and Qala. If I were to do it all again, I'd probably choose one of those villages. But there are many nice places - let us know a bit more about your taste and needs and we can all chip in our thoughts.

As for furniture and shipping, you'll see recent comments on a couple of other threads here. It depends what you have in mind - in other words if you already have a lot to bring over and just want to buy some extra, or if your choice would be between buying it all here and not bothering with shipping. The latter is definitely possible and you might even end up buying a place with furniture in it anyway. My place was largely furnished and I didn't really need any of my own stuff. But... I did want my books, albums etc, and since everything was all together in a storage place I had it all sent over anyway.

Give us more info when you're ready and we can narrow things down a bit

All the best

Tim
If you care about the Maltese landscape please save Ta Cenc.
Tim
Supporter

Postby davej » Thu 14 Jul 2005 23:00

Hi Tim,

Thanks for getting back to me so quick.

We are looking for somewhere quieter but still has the neccesary amenities and of course somewhere to have a tipple but not in the middle of it all or in the resort areas. We are hopefully going to try and rent some rooms i.e B&B type scenario to give me something to do.

Sounds like my son will be going to school on Malta then, the school run sounds a bit tricky but isn't it always. Does anybody have any recommendations for schools in Malta? Is it best to go state or private?

Cheers
Dave
davej

Postby Tim » Sat 16 Jul 2005 08:31

davej wrote: the school run sounds a bit tricky but isn't it always.

It's heavier than tricky!! Since most of us currently active here don't have school-age kids, you won't get good advice from us about schooling, I'm afraid. I think Scotdiver posted something about it, which will by now be way down towards the bottom of the forum. He's unfortunately not active here now, but you could PM or e-mail him and I'm sure he (or his wife) can give you chapter and verse on the school situation. That probably needs to be your priority.

As for the idea of B&B, I don't know what your budget is like, but a lot of the old farmhouses have rooms around a courtyard that would be ideal for that. I also don't know what the regs are about it, but I'm sure there are others here who have been thinking about it and could chip in on that.

Although I think the villages I mentioned before should be high on your list, Gozo is so small you don't really need to worry about it - Xlendi to Marsalforn, for instance, only takes about 15 mins!

Cheers
Tim
If you care about the Maltese landscape please save Ta Cenc.
Tim
Supporter

Return to Where to live in Malta or Gozo?