Looking for a quite place & recommended rentals?

Can't decide where on the islands to live? Find out more about the best and worst places here!

Looking for a quite place & recommended rentals?

Postby itstimetogo » Mon 11 Mar 2013 02:13

Hello everyone,

On behalf of the animals at Gozo SPCA I want to offer my support, this is probably our prospective home and thought it would be good to start by offering support of the animals at Gozo SPCA, a good cause I think.

Also help and advice would also be much appreciated.
Myself and my Non EU Fiancee soon to be wife are making preparations for a possible move to Malta after a year of talking etc. We are just starting off in life as a married couple and are looking for a quiet place to live and wondered if anyone could make any recommendations of particular areas to live. I have seen a few people mention Rabat, Marsaskala and Qrendi. Does anyone have any more?

Also somewhere that the rent is relatively inexpensive as just starting off in life so keeping our costs down if possible, not essential as we don't need to but would be nice too for the time being if possible. I have heard the town centers are more expensive to rent than outside. We are just wanting a nice little one bed roomed in a fairly decent quiet area. If anyone has and properties to rent or maybe knows of any good landlords or any good property agents who can help us find somewhere or maybe a good website to look at, that would be absolutely fantastic.

Thanks all!! And thanks in advance for any replies.
itstimetogo
Free member

Postby Dave » Mon 11 Mar 2013 02:43

Many thanks for signing up for Premium Membership!

You'll find there are already some recommendations for property agents on the Recommended Suppliers board. :-) I'm sure you'll get some helpful replies to your other queries soon.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Dave
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Mon 11 Mar 2013 06:04

What sort of budget do you have? In general terms, anywhere away from the northern coast is cheaper. It's important to consider where you will be working as although Malta is small the traffic can be bad
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby itstimetogo » Mon 11 Mar 2013 16:51

Thanks for that.

Well it would be nice to find a small one bed roomed property for between 200-300 Euros per month, but between 300-400 euros a month is ok too, but we only need a small one bedroomed and dont need to be in the center so think it should be fairly easy to find one for 200-300 euros. For work, we are self sufficient so nothing to worry about there, however if we do decide to work, it would be good to be living somewhere that's within a reasonable distance to an area which has perhaps more work than other areas in terms of Office/Admin type of jobs.
I have emailed half a dozen property owners/estate agents yesterday but not a single reply today :P maybe tomorrow.
itstimetogo
Free member

Postby gozomark » Mon 11 Mar 2013 16:54

would you consider Gozo ? rents are generally cheaper than Malta
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby itstimetogo » Mon 11 Mar 2013 17:00

Yes, have been looking at Gozo as a place to live and it seems like a viable option. Is work more difficult to come by there as opposed to Malta?

Although we do like the idea of Rabat, Marsaskala and Qrendi which are on Malta of course, so ideally would prefer Malta.

I have contacted half a dozen of the recommend suppliers on the board but no reply yet, so if you know of any more.
itstimetogo
Free member

Postby gozomark » Mon 11 Mar 2013 17:04

itstimetogo wrote: Is work more difficult to come by there as opposed to Malta?

it depends on the type of work, but in general yes

bear in mind most businesses were closed today (post election hangovers/blues). A reply by the end of the week should be considered reasonable. If you said you are thinking of moving to Malta, but not sure when, you may get no replies
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby itstimetogo » Mon 11 Mar 2013 17:26

Type of work would be Admin/Office/Clerical etc. So think Malta seems a little more suitable Rabat, Marsaskala and Qrendi seem to be ok would you say? fairly quiet but not too far from possible work and property slightly less expensive than some other places?

What would you recomned for the heating in the winter? Ive heard all homes are without heating and only Gas Heaters and electrical Heaters are available as ts cold and damp from Jan.-March.

But I can install and run (and pay) either an Airconditioning systems or a Parafine heater, but most properties do not have this and would need to be installed after we moved in.

Ohh I have also been told that Holiday homes are a good place to maybe stay in while looking at apartments to rent. Do you know of any good Holiday homes to stay in by any chance?
itstimetogo
Free member

Postby gozomark » Mon 11 Mar 2013 17:31

you are covering a lot of topics in one post - if you number your questions it makes it easier

1. "So think Malta seems a little more suitable Rabat, Marsaskala and Qrendi seem to be ok would you say?" yes

2. "What would you recomned for the heating in the winter?" aircon is best, then gas

3. "Ohh I have also been told that Holiday homes are a good place to maybe stay in while looking at apartments to rent. Do you know of any good Holiday homes to stay in by any chance? " - Malta has tens of thousands of short term rental flats - estate agents deal with them as well as long term rentals
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Mon 11 Mar 2013 18:13

gozomark wrote:you are covering a lot of topics in one post - if you number your questions it makes it easier

Mark's right, of course. Also, if you're wondering about something which is of more general Malta-wide interest, please do look at/use the appropriate board - for instance, there's already plenty of discussion about heating/aircon (which is pretty much the same wherever you choose to live) on the Housing/Property board. It may be that if you look around more widely, you'll find the info's already there for you. :-)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
Dave
Site Admin

Postby itstimetogo » Tue 12 Mar 2013 04:02

OK no probs I will do as much searching. Is there a part where I can type in a word and it will search the Malta forums only?

A quick question, what adapter plus do I need for my UK items to work in Malta? Ie my kettle etc? 8-)

My mobile phone, do I leave that behind in the UK? Im with T-Mobile. or can somehow it work over there?
itstimetogo
Free member

Postby gozomark » Tue 12 Mar 2013 05:15

1. "search forum" button near top of the page
2. ,Malta is same as UK. 240V, 3 pin plug
3. If phone is unlocked should be no problem
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby julia26 » Tue 12 Mar 2013 19:05

If its any help I am currently in Malta looking for a place to live when I move next month, and I have seen a lot of apartments available at what I think are very reasonable prices. No good for me as I want something bigger than you, and preferably a house, but I think you'll find a place ok
julia26
Free member

Postby itstimetogo » Tue 12 Mar 2013 19:09

Hi Julie,

Thanks so much for that. Where did you find these apartments through? Ie what estate agents etc? Are you just staying at a holiday home while you are looking at different apartments if you dont mind me asking?

On a side note, out of interest really, do pensioners get to use their free bus travel pass in Malta like they do in the UK?
itstimetogo
Free member

Postby Dave » Tue 12 Mar 2013 20:00

Sorry to butt in, but:

- info on specific estate agents is a subject for the Recommended Suppliers board
- discussion of pensioners' entitlements belongs on the Pensioners board

Please keep discussion of any given subject on the appropriate board - there are good reasons why we ask this, and we explain them in the posting guidelines here.
Dave
Site Admin

Next

Return to Where to live in Malta or Gozo?