Where in Gozo

Can't decide where on the islands to live? Find out more about the best and worst places here!

Where do you think ??

Marsalforn
No votes
Ghajnsielem
No votes
Nader
No votes
Other
100%

Total votes : 6

Where in Gozo

Postby rachal1084 » Tue 11 Mar 2014 15:45

Hi all

I have decided Gozo is the place we would like to move, but I have no idea where to start looking, if I tell you what we want then I am hoping you can help direct us.

We are a small Family me (31), my Husband (41) and out boy (2) and trying for another, we would like somewhere not to far from the sea (within walking distance) I have been told anywhere in Gozo is close to the Sea, if this isn't to much of a contradiction we would like somewhere not to quiet but not to busy. Somewhere with shops, restaurants and bars but not too much clubbing etc.. We will need somewhere with a good state school and prospects for Work as initially we have savings but they won't last forever just enough time to settle in and look for work, we will be driving out there.

Thank you in advance :)
rachal1084
Free member

Postby gozomark » Tue 11 Mar 2014 18:46

not Marsalforn
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby rachal1084 » Tue 11 Mar 2014 21:12

Really, why?

Can you suggest somewhere else?

I really want to get this right

After researching more Gozo just seems so perfect for us, as my little boys future is the most important thing.

Also after research I have seen that a car isn't something you need in Gozo, so I will assume public Transport is sufficient.

Regards
rachal1084
Free member

Postby gozomark » Tue 11 Mar 2014 21:18

Have you been to Marsalforn ? To me it represents all thats bad about Malta - over developed, concrete jungle
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Brightside » Tue 11 Mar 2014 22:27

Rachal, Marsalforn is a seaside resort, heaving in Summer dead in Winter, not pretty in fact the development is hideous even though the bay was/is nice. I would say avoid it, also avoid the other resort of Xlendi. Otherwise take your pick, most of the villages have primary schools, nowhere is far from the sea, most villages have a shop of two.

The best way is to come and look.
Brightside
Premium Member

Postby Playbyte » Wed 12 Mar 2014 07:00

Hi Rachal

Going over to visit is a must in my opinion especially as you have so many places you are considering.

If you look on Utube there is a video that someone took from the tourist bus that runs through all the major towns of Gozo and will give you a bit of an idea.

As for transport, we have already decided to use the local transport service and there are several passes that might suit you, 1 day, 7 day etc, and they allow you to get on and off as often as you like.

As yet we are undecided as to which town we will be living in which is part of the purpose of our visit in April.

Roger
Playbyte
Free member

Postby FOXGLOVE » Wed 12 Mar 2014 07:54

You might also care to remember that whilst nowhere is far from the sea, you can't always get to it!
I can see the sea on 3 sides where I live and it is only about 1/4 mile away on one side but I can't get to the water,only the cliff top!

Ray
FOXGLOVE
Free member

Postby PeaCakes » Wed 12 Mar 2014 10:51

Playbyte wrote:Hi Rachal

Going over to visit is a must in my opinion especially as you have so many places you are considering.

As yet we are undecided as to which town we will be living in which is part of the purpose of our visit in April.

Roger

I agree 100%. Quite a few other villages are not on the poll.
I cannot say too much about work but this is a very small
Island so I would imagine you would have to have some sort
"In demand" skills to stand any reasonably chance of any work.
PeaCakes
Premium Member

Postby BryanONeil » Wed 12 Mar 2014 13:18

As someone who has just recently moved to Malta (last week, in fact) I would strongly recommend you to just come over and arrange a time with an estate agent who will drive you around Gozo and show you places all across the island. This is what I did and it worked FAR better than my efforts to research beforehand.

The main issue with research is what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for someone else. For instance, if I went by forum suggestions I would've crossed Marsalforn off my list right away, but it just so happened that I found the perfect flat here in Marsalforn, with beautiful views from both sides (the view from my bedroom is to a picturesque green hill + field and from my living room I see the Marsalforn bay) and the flat/street is "behind the corner" so even though the town gets busy in the summer, there won't be many tourists wondering about and making noise here.

As for car vs. no car - I too was planning not to buy a car here in Gozo at first, as due to the small size of the island it would appear that everything is in walking distance and what isn't can be reached by the public transportation. The sad truth, however, is that for any sort of decent standard of living, you absolutely MUST have a car, and having been here for just about a week, I'm actively shopping for a car. Whilst Victoria is only a 10-minute drive from here (and from most places in Gozo), the buses go only once an hour, are severely over-crowded at peak hours (and in the summer likely at all hours) and often don't get you to where you want to go in the destination, which is OK at the moment but when it's 40 degrees outside you really don't want to be taking 20-minute walks at mid-day!

Another thing to consider is trips to Malta. By bus, Marsalforn > Valletta takes just over 3 hours and you need to time both your outbound and inbound trips very carefully to match the bus schedule. This is easier if you live in Victoria but anywhere outside you'll find that the bus connections aren't at all as frequent as they could be. So at the end of the day - each trip to Malta will require a full day if you use public transportation.

Hope this helps!

Bryan
BryanONeil
Free member

Postby gozomark » Wed 12 Mar 2014 13:41

I agree Bryan - the property is as important as the town, and yes nothing beats being driven round by an agent seeing loads of properties in a day in different places. Better not to have preconceived ideas, but go with an open mind.
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Wed 12 Mar 2014 13:43

ps bear in mind this is the best time of year in Marsalforn, will be interested to see if you have the same opinion at the end of the summer, but where you are isn't what I'd call Marsalforn really, its so different to the "central" bit
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Byzantium » Wed 12 Mar 2014 14:55

I agree with what has been said about Marsalforn and Xlendi being very busy in summer and very over built but my question is, if someone doesnt have a car and wants an easy walk to the sea in the heat of summer, are there any places to live on Gozo where this is possible apart from Marsalforn or Xlendi? This is a genuine question by the way cos I dont know the answer.
Byzantium
Free member

Postby gozomark » Wed 12 Mar 2014 15:01

An easy walk ? none I can think of
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby achim » Wed 12 Mar 2014 19:10

Byzantium wrote: if someone doesnt have a car and wants an easy walk to the sea in the heat of summer, are there any places to live on Gozo where this is possible apart .

There is one place I can think of just to the west of Fort Chambray in Ghajnsielem, there are a few blocks of flats overlooking the Comino channel with a reasonably short walk (3/400 meters) to the Xatt l-Ahmar bay. Here: https://goo.gl/maps/rNI1v

We seriously looked at some flats there - I can't post a commercial link here, but if you want to google "south facing terrace overlooking the sea and Fort Chambray" you will find one of them.
achim
Free member

Postby gozomark » Wed 12 Mar 2014 21:46

I know the blocks achim, they are a bit 1960s construction looking a bit rough on the outside, but big apartments - a steepish walk to the sea, but about the closest to the sea away from Xlendi and Marsalforn, and a nice place to swim
gozomark
Site Admin

Next

Return to Where to live in Malta or Gozo?