Looking to move to Malta/Gozo. Info and advice please

Can't decide where on the islands to live? Find out more about the best and worst places here!

Looking to move to Malta/Gozo. Info and advice please

Postby Apollo » Wed 02 Apr 2014 06:22

Hi all
I have asked a couple of questions so please bear with me.
I was wondering how you find the size of the place? We previously lived in Tenerife and that is quite a small island. Malta is obviously significantly smaller - does this create a problem/itchy feet/claustrophobia etc..
Also, given the island is so small perhaps living location isn't a huge problem, but where, in you own opinions, is the best location for all round qualities -
cleanliness, schools, work, etc

Also what is crime like on the islands?
Thanks in advance
Apollo
Free member

Postby gozomark » Wed 02 Apr 2014 07:00

For the negatives, check out the "bad vibes" bit of the forum - its not used often, which is a good sign, but will show you some of the problems people have faced.

"where, in you own opinions, is the best location for all round qualities -cleanliness, schools, work, etc " - foreigners live all over Malta and Gozo, so really its not a simple answer - everywhere has its pros and cons, and just about everywhere is safe

"does this create a problem/itchy feet/claustrophobia etc.. " yes it does, but soon solved by going abroad for a bit :-)
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby maxine » Wed 02 Apr 2014 07:07

Malta is small but you would be amazed how quickly you assimilate and it doesn't become an issue after a few months - we live in beautiful Mellieha and the next big town is Mosta about 7km away and it's amazing how people really don't want to drive that 'huge' distance LOL

Down south is far more built up and too me claustrophobic but that's only because I prefer the rural setting. Compared to the UK, crime is low and you don't see much graffiti, tagging or crowds of bored teenagers hanging around.

It's not the cleanest place to live but it's not bad - just typical of the Med.

Your chosen location really depends upon your work because people don't like to travel much here - but there are some beautiful places to choose from. Generally people live in apartments/flats here so be aware that is where most of the sensible priced accomodation is.
maxine
Free member

Postby Apollo » Wed 02 Apr 2014 07:13

Thank you again for such great answers. Again, it sounds great!!
And as a comparison to Tenerife, that felt huge to me after a short while so I can totally understand Malta having that effect. It is more my husband who is worried that he will find it too small, but I think if we enjoyed our life it wouldn't be a problem :)

We had a brief look on a property website yesterday and were literally AMAZED at how low the cost of living is! We looked at Frank Salt (no idea if is a reputable company or not) but houses were crazy cheap. We have dogs and so we would ideally want a house. But apartment would be considered. A renovation project one day would also be interesting as they seem to be between €29-€50k for something half decent....for waaaay into the future though, lol.
Thank you! :D
Apollo
Free member

Postby gozomark » Wed 02 Apr 2014 07:18

Apollo wrote: A renovation project one day would also be interesting as they seem to be between €29-€50k for something half decent.

its somewhat higher than that ! Housing is not cheap in Malta, although renting can be, especially in Gozo, and away from the very busy bits of Malta.
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Apollo » Wed 02 Apr 2014 07:36

I was just going by what we had seen on Frank Salt's website. I don't want to assume. They had listed townhouses from €29,000....but who knows if that is correct. Thanks
Apollo
Free member

Postby gozomark » Wed 02 Apr 2014 07:52

just had a look at that property - its labelled townhouse, but its really a 2 room apartment
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Apollo » Wed 02 Apr 2014 10:18

Ah ok, still...not a bad price I guess :)
Apollo
Free member

Postby gozomark » Wed 02 Apr 2014 10:48

and description "poor" - that must means really bad :-)
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Apollo » Wed 02 Apr 2014 16:23

Yeah. We would only rent though anyway. Can't afford to buy even if we wanted to at the mo. :)
Apollo
Free member

Postby gozomark » Wed 02 Apr 2014 16:32

I've never seen a property in Malta described as poor. I would definitely count the walls, floor and ceiling before even entering the front door (if it has one)
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby richardweninger » Thu 03 Apr 2014 10:31

A simple garage here in Sliema can cost around 50.000 €! I've never even seen anything for 29.000 €.

It could be a hunters hide. Maltese try to sell everything even if it doesn't have legal rights -)))

Cheers
Ricky
richardweninger
Free member

Postby Apollo » Thu 03 Apr 2014 10:32

Thanks for the tips :)
Apollo
Free member

Postby SandT » Thu 03 Apr 2014 15:23

Also - most of the properties on agents' websites are "no longer available"! So don't bank on being able to view any that have caught your eye, including with the "better" agents. Just about everyone we have spoken to on this subject - and many, many posts on here- have said the same thing.

You will need to arrive at an agent's office and state exactly what you are looking for, including your price ceiling, and then you will be shown what he actually has on his books at that time. Agents simply don't appear to remove properties from their websites, even a year or more after they are no longer available.

Just be firm about what you are looking for and you CAN negotiate rental costs too - we have done so with two properties that we have moved to. You just have to stay calm and patient and eventually you will get lucky. And, bear in mind that after the first year in your first home you may very well want to move - because many do after finding out what they do and don't want/need in their homes. Only living in it for at least a year do you know what it's really like there!

I'm not trying to put you off - just being realistic. We found our second home is as close to "perfect" as one could reasonably expect here.
SandT
Supporter

Postby Apollo » Thu 03 Apr 2014 21:46

Thanks. Thats great info. We have dogs so would need to think it through very carefully as just arriving with nowhere to live wouldn't be possible. Thanks so much
Apollo
Free member

Next

Return to Where to live in Malta or Gozo?