Autumn and Winter in Gozo

Can't decide where on the islands to live? Find out more about the best and worst places here!

Autumn and Winter in Gozo

Postby euphony » Tue 12 Aug 2014 12:06

:D

I was wondering, as it cools such a lot in the autumn/winter in Gozo, during those colder (damp!) months, is there any preferred village or town that people feel gives them some shelter from the winds or the worst weather (for instance). I've realised that I've been gearing up for living in a warmer climate and neglecting the fact that it cools down significantly.
I've read a lot about damp in older houses, does this happen in new apartments too? Just thinking about how to preserve our clothes from mould in the wet months! :lol:
We're back over there in just under 5 weeks, so looking forward to getting more things sorted :)

Chris
euphony
Premium Member

Postby euphony » Tue 12 Aug 2014 12:13

Mind you, our clothes are unlikely to get mold on them as we'll be wearing them all :P
euphony
Premium Member

Postby chris green » Tue 12 Aug 2014 13:28

Mold can be a problem in any type of building, old or new, so look very carefully when inspecting a property. Check all rooms behind chests and wardrobes and look for black marks on ceilings and use your nose. If you do find you have a problem you should increase daytime ventilation by leaving windows open in bedrooms, bathrooms and kitchen. Gas heaters encourage condensation making matters worse. A de-humidifier will help dry a very damp room. Some people recommend choosing apartments which are neither ground or top floor.

Zebbug is reckoned to be the islands windy city. :mrgreen:

..........................GOZO...HEAVEN WITH A TWIST............................
THE FACTS LAB BOOK of INSECTS by the team McMahon. Available from Amazon.

Soon to be a major HOLLYWOOD movie !!!
chris green
Supporter

Postby euphony » Tue 12 Aug 2014 13:34

ha, many thanks :)

How do you find San Lawrenz? We thought about that, but as we aren't running a car and are relying on the bus service we figured that the journey to do the weekly shopping would be a nightmare with tourists travelling to Dwerja Bay(How dare they :P )
euphony
Premium Member

Postby chris green » Tue 12 Aug 2014 14:06

San Lawrenz is very 'Gozitan rural' with fewer expats although you will fall over them in the local supermarket which serves Gharb as well. The supermarket is 10 minutes walk from the village centre. Ghasri is also quietish. Xaghra and Ghajnsielem both have more life. Sannat has GozoMark but some may see that a disadvantage.
Gozo buses are everywhere but I fear that once the government discover the cost of the subsidy we will return to the bad old days of one in the morning, one in the afternoon and NONE in the evening. This was the situation up until two years ago when Arriva were thrown in the deep end only to find they couldn't swim. :(
The tourist problem is not village specific, In season they are everywhere although Xlendi and Marsalforn are to be avoided at all cost. c. :mrgreen:

chris green
Supporter

Postby FOXGLOVE » Tue 12 Aug 2014 15:27

The local supermarket that Chris refers to is actually in Gharb but they do allow residents of San Lawrenz in!
We also let them use our bus which passes through there as well!

Ray :lol:
FOXGLOVE
Free member

Postby chris green » Tue 12 Aug 2014 15:47

The supermarket is in a road bordering Gharb but leading to San Lawrenz.

You may have seen recent threads concerning confusing bus timetables. This was a result of SL residents diverting 50% of the buses and by-passing Gharb. Very few Gharbies noticed as they are all round each others houses playing Canasta.

:roll: c :mrgreen:

chris green
Supporter

Postby FOXGLOVE » Tue 12 Aug 2014 17:13

Can't remember 'Canasta' Chris, it was a bit before my time!

As for the buses, we got our own back last week when San Lawrenz Festa was on, we diverted our buses and turned them round at Santu Pietru Square!

Ray
:lol:
FOXGLOVE
Free member

Postby Ghawdex » Wed 13 Aug 2014 03:03

Gozo.... Cold.... In. Winter?? Ha !!! Try Canada. :mrgreen:

In all seriousness, invest in some sort of heating appliance, if only you use it at night. The houses do tend to get cold in winter, sometimes to the point where its warmer outside than in.
Citizen of Malta and Canada
Ghawdex
Premium Member

Postby euphony » Wed 13 Aug 2014 06:25

Thanks for the helpful replies :)

That doesn't sound too good about the buses then :(
We found them to be excellent when we've been over there, but if it sounds like it might not last I'll have to make sure we move somewhere not completely isolated if we're having to rely on them!
I liked Kercem and Santa Lucija when we wandered through, seemed nice and quiet and close enough to Victoria for us to walk if need be without breaking a sweat.
euphony
Premium Member

Postby chris green » Wed 13 Aug 2014 07:54

Ghawdex wrote: The houses do tend to get cold in winter, sometimes to the point where its warmer outside than in.

It might sound like an old wives tale but I have experienced this phenomenon. Probably more to do with humidity that temperature.

Me, I'm snug with my log burner and I've recently recruited a lumberjack although he doesn't know it yet. Hopefully he'll arrive before the Chancellor steals the winter fuel allowance from us old folks. :crackup:

chris green
Supporter

Postby chris green » Wed 13 Aug 2014 08:00

euphony wrote:I liked Kercem and Santa Lucija when we wandered through, seemed nice and quiet and close enough to Victoria for us to walk if need be without breaking a sweat.

Seriously? Was the local Quarry operating on that day? The heavily overladen trucks play havoc with noise, dust, road surfaces and damage to parked vehicles. c. :mrgreen:

chris green
Supporter

Postby euphony » Wed 13 Aug 2014 08:31

ummm, well it was a Sunday when we wandered through. That's a bit concerning :(
euphony
Premium Member

Postby euphony » Wed 13 Aug 2014 09:14

Soooo...with the above in mind then, where would be a good place that isn't too far from Victoria, is generally quiet and is likely to stil maintain on ok bus service in the long term? It soudns like 2 weeks here and there doesn't give us enough insight into how each place is overall!
regarding the mold, I've decided that I'm going to bring a load of those vacuum pack bags to store clotheswe're not wearing in the winter!
I will be taking a load of vinyl records with me too, so I'll think of a way to safeguard them from any mold problems.

We've got a few little electric heaters too, so they'll be making there merry way woth us as well.
euphony
Premium Member

Postby euphony » Wed 13 Aug 2014 09:19

on my shorlist were Kercem and Santa Lucija, but if they're much noisier than we noticed then we're left with: Qala, Xaghra, Sannat and possibly Nadur.
euphony
Premium Member

Next

Return to Where to live in Malta or Gozo?