It is currently Mon 13 Jul 2020 04:09 GMT
Change font size

State schools/education

Schools in malta

Here's the place to discuss schools in the state system. Private schools are commercially operated businesses just like any other, so they're included with all the other premium content. Any posts here about non-state schools will be removed.

Schools in malta

Postby THESHARK » Fri 5 Sep 2008 12:50 GMT

I'm new to forums so ill try to get across what I'm thinking :oops:

i have a 7 year old daughter and a 5 year old which enjoy school and sports .And me and my wife are a bit concerned if we decide to make the move to malta would they fit in ? And would lessons all be in malteses?

I have read on here someone saying that a private school would be better ?Has anyone hand first hand experience of what I'm trying to say lol.

thanks darren
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
THESHARK
Free member

Postby antoniette » Fri 5 Sep 2008 18:14 GMT

Hi Darren,
Welcome to the forum. We too are in the the same position as you. We are moving to Malta next year & are a bit confused as to which schools to send our two children. aged 8 & 6. Private schooling seems the best option, but it is quite expensive (in our case anyway!) as we also have an 18 year old at College. I do worry if the children will fit in with the Maltese children, but as I am from Maltese parents I do know that whatever school you decide to send your children private/goverment/ church, they will accomodate them & the Maltese children will love to make friends with English children. They will be fine whatever you choose. Bear in mind though, the church run schools are quite old fashioned in there ways, e.g, parents not divorced, catholics etc... The education in Malta is very good & children learn English from an early age, so your children will be understood. I hope this is some help to you, and please contact me if I can be of further help.

Lauren
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
antoniette
Free member

Postby THESHARK » Fri 5 Sep 2008 19:26 GMT

Thank you Lauren .

Its the only thing that is holding us up making the move at the moment.
How or have you discussed with your children about your plans?I mention it to my eldest and she said what about my friends and cousins which started to make me feel like a bad man :cry:
Posted by:
THESHARK
Free member

Postby antoniette » Fri 5 Sep 2008 22:07 GMT

Hi Darren,

My eldest son's the same, worried about leaving friends and cousins behind. However, he was the same when changing schools a couple of years ago, yet soon made new friends and forgot about the old ones! At this age children are like that! Also, we recently took a holiday in Malta, and the children loved it and didn't want to go home. I know how you feel, because relocating can be scary. But we choose to look at the bigger picture; better lifestyle, much less crime, and much better weather :D We too have family that we will be leaving behind, but they are only three hours away, and of course a phone call/ internet away!

And don't forget, children are much better at making new friends than us oldies! Your children are at a good age to move, when they are much older it's more of a wrench. (as I am experiencing with my 18 year old daughter!!)

I know it can be a big step, I am the same, I do worry if they will be ok as they love the school they are in at the moment, and have lots of friends, I always think of the worse, "what if they don't make any friends or what if they are left out of activatives because they can't speak Maltese, what if they get picked on etc... but I have put that at the back of my mind, and have decided that if that was the case I would go to the school and complain !! :brickwall: No one will make my kids unhappy!! (joking aside) don't worry, maybe thay might end up in the same school!!

I have decided that the children will have private Maltese lessons when we get there, maybe three times a week, they will soon pick it up.

Good luck with your plans.

Lauren
Posted by:
antoniette
Free member

Postby THESHARK » Sat 6 Sep 2008 10:02 GMT

Thank you Lauren.

I have decided that the children will have private Maltese lessons when we get there, maybe three times a week, they will soon pick it up.
I take it for the other 2 days they will be at home or at another school sorry for all the questions :oops:

Have you got any good leads to schools etc or private?

thanks darren
Posted by:
THESHARK
Free member

Postby antoniette » Sat 6 Sep 2008 16:44 GMT

Hi Darren,

No problem with questions. :)

Sorry I did'nt make myself clear, :roll: what I ment was that we would give the children private Maltese lessons (1 hour a day), to learn Maltese, as well as sending them to a goverment school. This seems the best option in our case as we feel that sending them to a goverment school will help them to fit in with the Maltese children quickly. If they can learn to speak Maltese quickly, this will also prove much cheaper than to pay for private schooling.

I have a couple of links regarding private schools, if you e-mail me I will email there web addresses, as I can't give them to you here due to the furum rules.

Don'nt worry about asking questions we are to in the same boat, (just need to find a goverment school now!!)

Lauren
Posted by:
antoniette
Free member

Postby THESHARK » Sat 6 Sep 2008 19:28 GMT

Email sent thank you .
Posted by:
THESHARK
Free member

Good Schools

Postby Amanda Harkness » Thu 30 Oct 2008 12:58 GMT

Hi,

I am new to this also.

My husband and I are moving to Malta in the New Year and recently visited Malta to check things out and try to find a place to live. My husbands business contacts have suggested Chiswick House School they take them from 6 months old right up to College age. If you go on to the Malta Ministry of Education web-site it actually has a section with a list of all the schools in Malta. Some of them even have web links.
Posted by:
Amanda Harkness
Free member

Postby gozomark » Thu 30 Oct 2008 13:10 GMT

Amanda - if you wish to post the website link you mentioned thats OK as its a Government website
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Amanda Harkness » Thu 30 Oct 2008 13:27 GMT

http://www.education.gov.mt/edu/schools.htm

Thanks. Here is the link. Hope this helps someone
Posted by:
Amanda Harkness
Free member

Postby rosemary » Thu 30 Oct 2008 15:18 GMT

hi amanda
............whereabouts is chiswickhouse school based :?:
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
rosemary
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Thu 30 Oct 2008 15:21 GMT

from the link above.....

Antonio Schembri Street
Kappara
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Amanda Harkness » Thu 30 Oct 2008 15:34 GMT

Yes. The link shows the addresses of the schools too. Also for those who are wondering it breaks them down by schooling level and by Public, Church or Private. I found it pretty useful.
Posted by:
Amanda Harkness
Free member

Moving from uk with children

Postby erinnjack » Mon 4 Jun 2012 17:37 GMT

Hi there
I was just reading about your move with your children to Malta and wondered how you got on , I am going for a job interview in 2 weeks at st James hospital but it would involve moving with my husband ( who is half Maltese) and my 2 children aged 6 and 8 years. My main worry is whether they would fit it at school. Do you have any advice for me ?
Thanks a lot
Donna
Posted by:
erinnjack

Postby pumabob » Tue 12 Jun 2012 00:30 GMT

Hi Donna, can't really help other than point out you are expecting replies from posts put up in 2008 !

Having said that, I know a lot of Ex-pats who have primary school aged kids in local/state schools now who say their kids adjusted quite well to the changes from UK and have no trouble settling in.

Only advice I could give would be to decide which area you want to live in and then contact the schools around there to speak to the staff. Most are very helpful and will happily answer all your questions. :D
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Return to State schools/education