It is currently Sun 27 Sep 2020 04:55 GMT
Change font size

State schools/education

Tax Rebate on Private education

Here's the place to discuss schools in the state system. Private schools are commercially operated businesses just like any other, so they're included with all the other premium content. Any posts here about non-state schools will be removed.

Tax Rebate on Private education

Postby Eggs » Thu 2 Jul 2009 11:16 GMT

I have seen this statement on various school websites :-

N.B. TAX REBATE as from 1st January 2007
Childcare Services: A deduction up to a maximum of €1000 has been introduced in
respect of expenses incurred on licensed childcare services.
Private School Fees: The deductions available in respect of fees paid by parents to
independent private schools have been doubled. The new deductions are a maximum of
€1400 for each child attending a secondary school and a maximum of €1000 for each
child attending a primary school.

Just wondering if it really means what i think it does, ie would i get 1400 euros deducted of any tax i am due to pay if my son is in secondary private education ?

If so it makes the whole independant schooling thing a whole lot cheaper.
===================
Rob Marna Harry Zara :P
===================
Posted by:
Eggs
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Thu 2 Jul 2009 12:54 GMT

Outside my expertise, but isn't in the UK a deduction a reduction in your income liable to taxation, not in your tax bill - ie 1,400 times your marginal tax rate, not 1,400
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Eggs » Thu 2 Jul 2009 14:15 GMT

no idea m8 , was hoping someone who has kids in independant school in malta might be able to throw some light on it, my kids in UK go to state school. :)
===================
===================
Posted by:
Eggs
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Thu 2 Jul 2009 14:37 GMT

from Malta's tax code - see bit in bold - its a deduction against income, not against tax, so reduces your tax bill according to your marginal tax rate

http://docs.justice.gov.mt/lom/legislat ... apt123.pdf

P61

14B. (1) Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in this Act, if an individual proves to the satisfaction of the Commissioner that in the year preceding a year of assessment he has paid school fees in respect of his children attending a registered private kindergarten or a school named by the Minister he shall be allowed as a deduction against his income the lesser of these
amounts -
(a) the amount actually paid as certified by the head of the relative school or kindergarten;
(b) one thousand and four hundred euro (1,400) in respect of each child who attended such secondary school or one thousand euro (1,000) in respect of each child who attended such primary school or kindergarten.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Thu 2 Jul 2009 14:45 GMT

higher limit for children with special needs

(2) Any individual qualifying under the provisions of subarticle (1) who proves to the satisfaction of the Commissioner that in the said year he has paid fees to the named school in respect of his child with special needs for the services of a facilitator, shall be allowed as a deduction against his income the fees so paid up to a maximum of nine thousand and three hundred and twenty euro (9,320), provided that advice shall have been given by a board established for the purpose by the Minister responsible for education to the effect that the said facilitator is necessary for that child.

childcare fees

14C. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in this Act, if an individual proves to the satisfaction of the Commissioner that in the year preceding a year of assessment he has paid fees in respect of childcare services for his children to a licensed or registered childcare centre he shall, for each child, be allowed as a deduction against his income the lesser of these amounts -
(a) the amount actually paid as confirmed by official receipts;
(b) one thousand euro (€1000).
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Eggs » Fri 3 Jul 2009 00:11 GMT

ahh ok i think i got it, so just say i had 20K taxable income it would be reduced to 18600 taxable income or something like that.
===================
===================
Posted by:
Eggs
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Fri 3 Jul 2009 04:30 GMT

thats my understanding
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

hybrid car

Postby NathanA » Thu 16 Dec 2010 10:08 GMT

Edit - spam removed by Kay
Posted by:
NathanA

Postby chris green » Thu 16 Dec 2010 10:46 GMT

Nathan's first two contributions to the Forum, although articulate and informative, are totally out of context. Is it possible to route first time contributors via a Moderator prior to publication thereby eliminating nonsense and spam?
If Nathan's words are left in place they will corrupt the understanding of future readers and de-value the worth of BEF.
c.
THE FACTS LAB BOOK of INSECTS by the team McMahon. Available from Amazon.

Soon to be a major HOLLYWOOD movie !!!
Posted by:
chris green
Supporter

Postby Kay » Thu 16 Dec 2010 16:28 GMT

Chris

We can spot postings like that as being spam a mile off. If they're even half-way articulate you can bet your bottom dollar that they're copy and paste jobs which the spammers post all over the place. BTW, that one was a spammer posting from the Philippines.

The best thing to do is to ignore such things as the BE fora are very actively and rigorously moderated. If you ignore them, it's easier for us to remove the spammy posts. It you acknowledge them or reply to them, then we have to deal with them in situ, otherwise your response might look odd. Plus it takes the thread off topic as we have to reply to your response.

Spam doesn't usually last for very long on here and we're usually quick off the mark to deal with it. But we can't realistically be here 24/7, so we ask that people bear with us.

As for your suggestions, let's not take this thread about schools in Malta even more off topic by discussing how the BE forum deals with spam. Try the FAQ, Problems, Suggestions forum.

Thanks

Kay
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to State schools/education