It is currently Mon 21 Sep 2020 09:41 GMT
Change font size

State schools/education

Re state schools and public registry

Here's the place to discuss schools in the state system. Private schools are commercially operated businesses just like any other, so they're included with all the other premium content. Any posts here about non-state schools will be removed.

Re state schools and public registry

Postby Eggs » Thu 13 Jan 2011 10:05 GMT

We have just been to visit the school (state school) our daughter will be starting in October, Now the lady we spoke to said that we have need to register our daughter with the publiuc registry.

We have certificates of residence already and i figured this would be enough, she was not 100% sure and said she will give us a call to let us know what we will need to do.

Has anyone else come across this?
===================
Rob Marna Harry Zara :P
===================
Posted by:
Eggs
Supporter

Postby Eggs » Thu 13 Jan 2011 10:43 GMT

Quick update, I have had to make an appointment with somebody at the Directorate for Education Services tommorow morning. The school phoned me within an hour of getting home and gave me phone numbers and contact names which i thought was pretty efficient, so i pohoned and they gave me an appointment for the next day at 9am (in Floriana).

Will update again when i have more info.

As to the public registry thing I am thinking this may be duff info but again i will keep updating as to what happens.
===================
===================
Posted by:
Eggs
Supporter

Postby Eggs » Fri 14 Jan 2011 11:03 GMT

Ok so the next update:-

Went to our appt in Floriana with our contact.

We arrived early at 8.30am and were pleasantly suprised to be seen straight away.

We were asked to produce our daughters Birth Certificate along with her residency permit and passport, also our own passports and permits.

The guy we saw Mr Micallef-Debono was an absolute pleasure, he greeted us warmley and went out of his way to give us as much help and advice as we required. He explained the whole process telling us that next we had to and see one of the principles (or the secretary for them) with various documentation which i will list in a sec.

He then proceeded to call the people we needed to see to double check on any paperwork we required so we wouldnt have to go back and forth, he actually passed me the phone and let me talk to them, the lady was also extremely polite on the other end of the phone explaining exactly what we would need to take.

What we need to take to a principles (this is not the school headmaster in Rabat but a higher grade principle whom looks after about a dozen schools in his specific area) :-

Childs Birth Certificate.
Our Id Cards.
Residency Certificate (not sure if i need to take this again but will).
Letter from work on headed paper stating i work for them and the hours i work.
Electricity Bill or utility bill in some form.
Medical Certificate (from polyclinic aparently every child has to do this before starting school)

So nothing there to difficult to sort out and all i have to do is call the lady in Mgarr and let her know i will be coming.

I am going to write to the Education department and grant high praise upon Mr Micallef-Debono as for the first time when applying for anything or dealing with government type officials I felt i was treated with the utmost respect and grace. If only everyone were like this guy everything would be alot easier and friendlier.

Will update again after we have been to the principles office in Mgarr
===================
===================
Posted by:
Eggs
Supporter

Postby Eggs » Fri 14 Jan 2011 11:08 GMT

FAO Mark.
If when i have completed this process mark, i could write it up as one post trying to explain the process if ya wanted a sticky relating to "signing up for state school".
===================
===================
Posted by:
Eggs
Supporter

Postby Kay » Fri 14 Jan 2011 11:41 GMT

It's a great idea to do that, Egg. Many thanks. But may I suggest how I think it could be better dealt with?

Rather than have one long posting, I think it might be better to do a mini-series of articles on the main BE site. These could be broken down into chunks or chapters with a step by step approach. (We could do the editing, no worries.)

Then, when we've done your feature. We could link to it here in the Malta forum as a sticky and say - read this article, which outlines a step by step approach to the whole process.

Similarly, we can use the article to link to the Malta forum and maybe get some new members to boost our numbers.

Mainly, I'm thinking along the lines that people might find it easier to read and understand the info if it was presented as a series of articles.

[edited for typo]
Last edited by Kay on Mon 7 Feb 2011 13:08 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Eggs » Fri 14 Jan 2011 11:54 GMT

yeah cool Kay whatever you think is good :) , I will keep adding to it, My wife is of to the polyclinic later to sort out the medical cert, i will post up that experience as its all part of the same process
===================
===================
Posted by:
Eggs
Supporter

Postby Eggs » Sat 15 Jan 2011 14:05 GMT

Ok so the part to this begins at the polyclinic.

My wife went to the polyclinic in Rabat and asked about the medical certificate , the person there requested our daughters ID (this has happened before mentioned in another post) which we dont have , he stated there is no record of her being on the public registry.

When my wife came home she explained this to me and i phoned the polyclinic asking for confirmation and ended up in an argument about her not having a maltese Birth Certificate as she was not born in Malta and she cannot get one as she is British. He still insisted she would have to be registered on the public registry not being very forthcoming, I tried to explain that we should be entitled to free healthcare due to the fact that we are resident in Malta along with residency certificates and I work here and pay tax and SS. I also explained that we cannot become Maltese at the drop of a hat due to Maltese Law, he was a little tongue tied by the time i finished speaking with him but still said there was nothing he could do.

So now I am wondering what to do i start phoning various Government authorities with no suitable outcome.
My last thought was to phone the extremely helpful Mr Micallef-Debono at the Education Directorate whom had been extremely helpful previously, Boy am i glad i did, he said to leave it with him and he would find out what i needed to do and call me back within 30 mins, 20 mins passed and he did ring me back explaining that we now had to go to the Health Centre in Qormi this is also backed up by http://www.education.gov.mt/ministry/secretariat/faqs_visa.htm

So this will be the place we visit and I will once again give details once we have certificate in Hand.
===================
===================
Posted by:
Eggs
Supporter

Postby Kow » Mon 17 Jan 2011 16:14 GMT

Eggs, what has made you decide to send your daughter to state school ?
How has your Son settled at his school ?

Also, same question to PumaBob please !
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Kow
Supporter

Postby pumabob » Thu 20 Jan 2011 22:24 GMT

Our 2 boys are at San Anton (fee paying) school. Fees/transport average around 2700e a term which certainly ain't cheap but they are taught in English. That's for both boys, not each, but still a big hit when we were used to free schooling to the same standard in the UK.

At first the eldest, 14yrs, wasn't liking it at all, and has since changed a few subjects. He's definitely more settled now.

The 12 yr old slotted right in, though it was easier for him as he was going into first year at the 'big' school which he would have been doing back home anyway.

Now both boys are very happy at San Anton and the eldest is even taking 'Writing Studies' after school every Thursday. :D

We have some friends who sent their primary age kids to the local state school, but said homework etc was all in Maltese and a nightmare ref translating and understanding it, so that's something else to bear in mind when choosing.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Postby Eggs » Fri 21 Jan 2011 11:57 GMT

With our daughter we thought we would try her in state school as she is obviously young enough to pick up the language , the boy (12yrs) goes to private and has fitted right in at St Catherines.

And continuing on from the last installment.

We went to Qormi Health Centre on Wednesday and had to go to the Chest dept. the lady there was very helpful and literally just asked a few questions after which she gave us a document basically saying Zara is low risk and should not have TB !!

She also told us that we should now go see a private Doctor to get a medical note saying she is in good health.

We have a Docs about 10 doors down our street so we went and saw him, he just listened to her chest checked her ears and eyes then wrote us a note.

All I have to get now is the letter from work detailing my hours of employ.

We have also had a call from the school saying Zara has been accepted we just have to go for the meeting with the documentation in hand as explained before, so all is looking good.
===================
===================
Posted by:
Eggs
Supporter

Postby Eggs » Mon 7 Feb 2011 11:15 GMT

Continuing on....

Gottall the relavent documentation and Went of to the Principles office in Mgarr, we were there for about 5 mins and the very nice lady (Doreen) photocopied a few things she wanted then sent us on our merry way saying that we should get a letter confirming within about a week.

As far as I am concerned now thats is pretty much all done and dusted (well when we get the letter at least).

I will within the next week or so write up the whole process which we have had to go through (will make a few notes also as older children have to have a chest xray), and if you think it may be useful for others please feel free to post it up wherever you wish Kay.
===================
===================
Posted by:
Eggs
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Mon 7 Feb 2011 12:01 GMT

good news :-)

Maltese red tape isn't too arduous once you know what you need to do, who you need to see, what you need to ask,and what your rights are. Posts like yours make life much simpler for those following in your footsteps :-)
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Mon 7 Feb 2011 12:04 GMT

ps its principal not principle, unless she's got a somewhat different role than it appears :-)
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Eggs » Mon 7 Feb 2011 12:53 GMT

Blimey you is so picky innit m8 > Westside <funny hand sign>
===================
===================
Posted by:
Eggs
Supporter

Postby pumabob » Mon 7 Feb 2011 15:40 GMT

This question and answer was on one of Stephen's recent Grade 10 English language test papers from San Anton.

(5 questions and you had to match the relevant answers provided on the paper)

Q - Gave him the cold shoulder.
A - Completely ignored me.

:roll: :roll:
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Next

Return to State schools/education