It is currently Sat 11 Jul 2020 11:24 GMT
Change font size

State schools/education

Can British expat enrol 5 year old at primary school?

Here's the place to discuss schools in the state system. Private schools are commercially operated businesses just like any other, so they're included with all the other premium content. Any posts here about non-state schools will be removed.

Can British expat enrol 5 year old at primary school?

Postby atoz34 » Tue 10 May 2011 13:12 GMT

Do you have to have a job and/or residency for your 5 year old child to be accepted in a state school in or Malta and/or Gozo?

We are thinking of moving to Malta in September, with my husband starting his own business (therefore no employer).

Does schooling have anything to do with residency permits for British expats? Am I right in thinking all state schools are 'free'?

Also any advice on schooling for 3 year old would be appreciated i.e. is there any free schooling for this age group and/or personal recommendations would be welcome?

Many thanks in advance
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
atoz34
Free member

Postby gozomark » Tue 10 May 2011 17:23 GMT

Hi atoz34, and welcome to the forum :-)

My understanding is as an EU citizen all you need is to be resident, which means a residency permit. To get a residency permit you need to prove you have sufficient resources to not be a burden on the state - that means employed, self employed or self sufficient - your husband will be self employed, so he will need to prove income levels sufficient to look after you all financially. As long as can do that, then everything else will follow. If you have sufficient savings to go for self sufficiency to start with that is probably a lot simpler.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Eggs » Tue 24 May 2011 11:30 GMT

Kids start here generally at 3, our daughter is signed up for October, She is 3 in June :)
===================
Rob Marna Harry Zara :P
===================
Posted by:
Eggs
Supporter

Return to State schools/education