It is currently Sun 27 Sep 2020 04:49 GMT
Change font size

State schools/education

Schools suitable for British taught children aiming at GCSE

Here's the place to discuss schools in the state system. Private schools are commercially operated businesses just like any other, so they're included with all the other premium content. Any posts here about non-state schools will be removed.

Schools suitable for British taught children aiming at GCSE

Postby slew » Fri 3 Feb 2012 13:05 GMT

Hi,

I know everyone comes on forums looking for help with schools and I think I've read them all...so my mind is boggled!

I really just want to cut down the paper chasing, researching on the web way into the night.

Can anyone please recommend schools in Malta that will cater for my 10 year old son and 14 year old daughter who is coming to the end of her 1st year studying GCSEs'. They're currently studying in Nottinghamshire.

We are hoping to get them into school in May so that they can have a chance to settle in and make friends before the new school year in September 2012.

Can't believe how much chasing around there is...is there anyone who has recently made the move and taken their children with them?
Posted by:
slew

Postby boogiewoogie » Wed 8 Feb 2012 15:58 GMT

I think you are looking at the Verdala International School. They do iGCSE although I can't seem to get on their website today. We have been to have a look round there and although our son is still in primary we really liked it. Felt so much more nurturing than his current school (Although that wouldn't take much, Colditz looks warm and fluffy in comparison - trust me).
Not sure of anywhere else off the top of my head. VIS is our top choice and precisely because they do International qualifications. Yes they are more expensive but there is no uniform and I think more things are included eg text books. so when you compare the whole story I am not sure they ARE that much dearer. But we aren't there...yet. And as things stand at the moment we are "on hold" with our plans. :(
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
boogiewoogie
Supporter

Verdala school

Postby Dale » Mon 22 Apr 2013 08:20 GMT

Hi guys will shortly be moving out to Malta with my family, my 14 year old has just chosen her options for next September.
Please can anyone confirm verdala does do recognised uk qualifications ( as have had bad experience of private American run school in the past) any information on the school would be very much appreciated.
Posted by:
Dale

Postby Georgie13 » Mon 22 Apr 2013 08:26 GMT

Hi All!
Yes I would welcome some school information too!! As a family, with a son who will be 10 this August, what are the local schools around Sliema? Do they all teach English? or am I best looking for International education? We will be spending this summer there as my husband has already started his job. We are wishing to make the big move around Xmas... does anyone know if there is a summer school provision?
Many thanks!
Posted by:
Georgie13

Postby 165721 » Mon 22 Apr 2013 09:56 GMT

Hi everyone,

Good luck with your searches and fact finding! It does seem a little difficult to fathom at times, but we are a few years away from needing schools (first one due in August) so good to keep an eye out to see how things lie.

Cheers,

Jack
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Free member

Postby gozomark » Mon 22 Apr 2013 10:53 GMT

Jack I've deleted your advert in your post - if you wish to advertise it's £5 with 50% going to Gozo SPCA

[edit - I see this isn't the first time we've informed you of this]
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Return to State schools/education