It is currently Mon 21 Sep 2020 08:53 GMT
Change font size

State schools/education

Schools in Gozo

Here's the place to discuss schools in the state system. Private schools are commercially operated businesses just like any other, so they're included with all the other premium content. Any posts here about non-state schools will be removed.

Schools in Gozo

Postby faeangel » Tue 8 Jan 2013 20:46 GMT

Just to say 'hello' to all. I guess you all have probably read this kind of message many times! I have 'trawlled' many websites for many months, just to make sure I am doing the right thing. Have made the decision to move to Gozo with my 9 year old son. (we have visited Malta and Gozo twice before).

My son is the main concern. I am hoping that the state schools in Victoria will provide him with all that he needs. He is easy going, very friendly, happy to join in with Maltese friends and others from any other country. ( We are British, and I am half Italian but born and brought up in the UK. Although I do speak Italian) Am concerned though that at the age of 9, my son may not intergrate and am concerned for his happiness. Will a state school at the age of 9 be okay? Or is it too late for him to understand the lessons and learn Maltese?

Would love to meet anyone who would like to be friends with either myself or my son. I am a mixed media artist and once I arrive, my front door will always be open to anyone who wishes to 'pop' by.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
faeangel
Free member

Postby sarahc » Tue 8 Jan 2013 21:23 GMT

Hi, we moved to Gozo in 2011. Both my children go to the school in Victoria. My daughter is also aged 9 and in year 5. Both my kids love school and I can't speak highly enough of it. My daughter is in a class of about 15 children and she has extra Maltese lessons with a few other kids for whom it isn't there first language. There is also a lad in her year that is English although he has lived here for years so speaks Maltese well.
There are a few foreign children at the school especially in yr 5. So unlike a smaller school they can cater for foreign kids as the teaching staff are used to teaching kids who don't understand much Maltese.

My kids have only been at Victoria school since march last year as they went to our local school when we moved here but it wasn't working out for them, so we moved them and it was the best decision we made.

The schooling is different to UK but that is part of being here.
My daughter today said she prefers living here than UK so I finally have her seal of approval lol, if you have any specific questions then feel free to contact me.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
sarahc
Free member

Postby faeangel » Tue 8 Jan 2013 22:08 GMT

Thank you. Thank you very much. Am so pleased that your children are happy at school in Victoria. That makes it all worth it! I guess you can't tell me what school they are are on this forum? Or can you? Am still learning ther rules.

Really apprieciate your reply. So quick too! Am so looking forward to being on Gozo....can't wait! Will be there end June.
Posted by:
faeangel
Free member

aproval!

Postby faeangel » Tue 8 Jan 2013 22:13 GMT

Just wanted to add.....that getting a seal of approval from your daughter is a major step forward......am so pleased. for you.
Posted by:
faeangel
Free member

Postby sarahc » Wed 9 Jan 2013 06:51 GMT

Only 1 state school in Victoria, school here finishes at end of June although the school does run a summer school which my kids like going to, July till the start of Sept. Other wise school starts end of September.

Lol I'm still learning the rules here too, a bit more of a lurker than a contributor.

You could become a full member for a small amount of which some goes to the local SPCA. Trust me on the membership boards on here the information is invaluable from housing, ,schooling, recommended suppliers etc.

Good luck with your planning.
Posted by:
sarahc
Free member

Postby faeangel » Tue 15 Jan 2013 13:49 GMT

Would you be kind enough to tell me if the children are bused
to school in Gozo? Or do I drive my son to school?
Posted by:
faeangel
Free member

Postby sarahc » Tue 15 Jan 2013 17:58 GMT

I drive mine in from Xaghra, but there is a school bus to and from Marsalforn.

The secondary school has buses from most if not all villages around Gozo, but not the primary school as most villages have there own primary schools where as the secondary school is in Victoria.
Posted by:
sarahc
Free member

Postby Ballpix » Tue 15 Jan 2013 18:09 GMT

Hi Sarah, what are the options after secondary school? Is there further education before university?

Thanks in advance if you can help.

Phil.
Posted by:
Ballpix
Free member

Postby sarahc » Wed 16 Jan 2013 06:45 GMT

From what I understand from my friends/bosses 16 ry old, there is 6th form school which is next to the main secondary schools in Victoria, there is also Matsec which from what I can make out is equivalent to UK further education college. There isn't a college building as such but they are attached to the village primary school so you could go to do IT at the building attached to Xaghra primary school.
Posted by:
sarahc
Free member

Postby Ballpix » Wed 16 Jan 2013 17:31 GMT

Thanks Sarah, will have a nosey ;)
Posted by:
Ballpix
Free member

Return to State schools/education