It is currently Sat 11 Jul 2020 12:04 GMT
Change font size

State schools/education

Just moved and need friends for my 4 year old!

Here's the place to discuss schools in the state system. Private schools are commercially operated businesses just like any other, so they're included with all the other premium content. Any posts here about non-state schools will be removed.

Just moved and need friends for my 4 year old!

Postby Mandam » Sun 24 Feb 2013 14:33 GMT

Hi there
Just moved to Gozo (Xaghra) about 3 weeks ago. Because of this new immigration system I can't get my daughter into school until I have received a temp ID while my residency is being processed. Bit of a mare!
Poor Tams is desperate for friends to play with and I was wondering if there are any kids out there of a similar age that we could meet up with at playgrounds or wherever? Obviously would be nice to meet some new people myself too :)
Cheers for now
Manda
Posted by:
Mandam

Postby sarahc » Sun 24 Feb 2013 14:43 GMT

Hi, we are also in Xaghra. I have a 9yr old daughter and 6 yr old son. So a bit older than your daughter but could my two play with anyone and everyone!

When I registered my two in to school in sept 2011 we didn't have ID cards and the education dept was ok using our passports. Have you been in to the education dept in Victoria?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
sarahc
Free member

Postby Mandam » Sun 24 Feb 2013 15:10 GMT

Hi Sarah
I'm sure she'd be more than happy to have some older kids to play with :).
Yes we went along to the ed dept and they said they can't let her in until we have some kind of proof that we have applied for residency as they don't want any legal repercussions by parents "demanding" residency due to their kids being in school. She was very sweet about it and said she has contacted the head in Malta to see if there was any way around it, but sadly not.
Let me know when's good to meet if you are keen :)
Posted by:
Mandam

Postby SteveGill » Sun 24 Feb 2013 19:29 GMT

What an awful situation to be in :( I'd suggest emailing the residency application address (details on another thread) explaining (briefly) that you need proof you've applied to let your child into school.

The worst that can happen is you are no further forward. Hopefully they'll reply with some kind of acknowledgement and you could try showing that to the education department? Failing that, it seems as if you could be waiting until the end of the year before officially applying for residency!
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
SteveGill
Premium Member

Postby Mandam » Sun 24 Feb 2013 20:08 GMT

Hi Steve
I know most annoying especially because if we had made it here last November when we had planned to, I could have got an ID then!!
Posted by:
Mandam

Return to State schools/education