New to Delhi

Planning an event, or want to publicise a regular meeting of expats in your area? Please post the details here! (NB You may post dates and venues and details of the event. However, adverts for other websites will be deleted, whether or not they are commercial ventures. If you want an advert, we have various advertising opportunities. Thanks.)

New to Delhi

Postby LondonMarks » Wed 04 Sep 2013 05:53

Good Morning, we've just moved here from Clapham, London - my husband is a chef taking over at The Taj Palace and I'm a trailing spouse - I'm actually a freelance writer so I can work from anywhere - we're wondering whether it is worth joining the British High Commission club and the Hyatt club, as there were lots of posts on these but from quite a while ago - any advice on the best clubs to join to meet other expats would be really helpful - I've lived in India before but in Goa so Delhi advice would be good....
LondonMarks

Postby Dave » Sat 07 Sep 2013 08:49

Hi, and welcome. :) Sorry for the delay in replying - it's been a busy couple of days here and I've only just seen your post!

I'm not sure how things are at the BHC Club these days (it's nine years since we were last in Delhi), but there was certainly a waiting list for guest membership back then. I've heard they've got rid of the snooker table, which is a pity - it used to be a big attraction in the otherwise often slack evenings in midweek. (Darts night on a Tuesday - I think! - used to be reasonably lively.)

The Hyatt club was pretty popular, and I'd imagine it still is, though the swimming pool used to get pretty crowded at times.

If you're a freelance writer, you might be able to wangle yourself membership of the Foreign Correspondents' Club (it was over near the Oberoi in our day) - we used to go along on Friday evenings, and it was pretty good fun.

Hope you enjoy Delhi, anyway. We certainly did!
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Events and making new friends