It is currently Wed 1 Apr 2020 12:25 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

USA General Information

Moving to the USA - Information Required

Please post here if your question isn't specific to any USA region. Eg, immigrations, taxes etc.

Hi!

Postby Cairin » Thu 16 Feb 2006 09:29 GMT

Hi all!

Great forum. So glad I am not the only one who is slightly confused with the visa \ immigration system.
My wife and I have 2 girls and are wanting to move to the US. We love the country having been there loads of times and really want to set up there now, maybe around North Carolina or even Colorado, both places we love and have been to many times.
Completely confused about the immigration system and I am coming to the conclusion that because we are both from the UK, born and bread, that the only way we can get there is through an agency \ lawyer. Judging by the listings here people have come to the same conclusion!!
My question is, can it be done without using a 3rd party and if so, how? Where did you start?

Cheers!
Posted by:
Cairin

Two Brits moving to the US.

Postby john_w » Thu 4 May 2006 06:59 GMT

I married a US Citizen, and we decided that we would move to the US (Arizona) and settle there - my wife has family in and around Phoenix as well as in Oregon and Georgia.
Having and American wife was neither help nor hindrance, and we soon found out that just as "the mills of the gods grind slow, but exceedingly small", so does the US Immigration Department. I still don't have a green card, but I do have a social security number, a permit to seek work in the US, and a driving licence, plus a job as a mortgage loan consultant - which is what I did back in the UK. The work permit has a one-year validation, but is also renewable. We talked to many lawyers in the US - all of whom were anxious to help with the immigration process, but I'm not so sure they'd have made much difference to the time the process took - May to November in my case.
The US is so huge, there are places to suit all wants and needs. We live south of Phoenix, and for most of the year, it's great, but the months of May to September inclusive are really hot, with temps up as high as 120f. You soon learn why the locals are so keen on good Air Conditioning, both in their houses and their cars! The rest of the year is anywhere from good to great, plus since Phoenix is in an area known as "The Valley", there are many beautiful places to visit locally, with the Grand Canyon being at the top of the list, plus a trip to Las Vegas is a must!
Let me know how you get on - and if you like the idea of a move to Arizona, I recommend you visit the web-site of Arizona Highways, which is a bi-monthly magazine full of articles about the State, together with some of the best photographs of scenery and wildlife you'll ever see.

I hope this has been of some use and interest to you. Best of luck!
Posted by:
john_w

Postby jeffm2009 » Wed 13 May 2009 16:24 GMT

As John said, it is not necessary to have an immigration lawyer but it certainly helps to make sure you do everything right at all steps of the immigration process. Otherwise, you may experience long delays and much frustration. Phoenix is definitely a good area to move to, if you can tolerate the heat. Assuming you want a fairly warm climate you may want to consider moving to Fort Lauderdale in Florida. It's nice and warm there too, without the extreme highs of Phoenix. If you are trying to use an employer as a reason to gain a visa, you will need an employer who could prove that comparable work/skills could not be obtained in the US. Good luck!
Posted by:
jeffm2009

Previous

Return to USA General Information