It is currently Sun 29 Mar 2020 16:19 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

USA General Information

What's wrong with BBC America?

Please post here if your question isn't specific to any USA region. Eg, immigrations, taxes etc.

What's wrong with BBC America?

Postby britoutofwater » Tue 9 Jan 2007 17:16 GMT

Can someone please explain why BBC America shows very little new programming and it saturated with Cash in the Attic, The Benny Hill Show and Whose Line is it Anyway? Does anyone really like these shows or is everyone else craving for something new and varied like I am?

I've just moved to the USA from London and I'm missing all my shows. It seems that everything I want to watch is either not shown at all or shown at some ridiculous hour that I can't possible stay up until. Mostly I'm just sore because I've realized that they're not showing The Eurovision Song Contest which seems crazy given the proliferation of other singing and song contests on America TV. The best option I've found is watching it online but I'm not sure my computer's up to it and I'm certain that this wont include the Terry Wogan commentary which really makes the show worth watching imho.

If I started up an online petition for BBC America to show Eurovision would anyone be interested in 'signing' it?
Posted by:
britoutofwater

Postby Graeme » Wed 10 Jan 2007 00:29 GMT

I guess you are starting to realise that the USA has a peculiar view of the Brits, they seem to think we're all Benny Hill or psuedo intellectuals. They aren't interested in anything which doesn't reflect their values and so the Eurovision song contest which has no music influence in the USA gets no air time.
Not sure apetition would have any effect what so ever, but good luck trying.
:)

Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby britoutofwater » Wed 10 Jan 2007 00:32 GMT

It may not do much good, but at least I'd have tried. At least we can get the radio shows (although I wish I could listen to Desert Island Discs, but I suspect that's a copyright issue) through the internet. I'd be very sad to have to miss out on The Archers!
Posted by:
britoutofwater

Postby britrose » Thu 22 Mar 2007 18:54 GMT

I completely agree with you. I don't even bother turning BBC America on anymore. It's crap! We get a few British comedies on one of our local channels but there isn't much and they are older shows.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
britrose
Free member

Postby Faiythe » Wed 11 Apr 2007 02:57 GMT

I know, and it seems to be subtitled by someone who has no understanding of british sayings, I can't believe the amount of errors. I wish someone would pay me to proof read the Subtitling......I'd love that job!
Posted by:
Faiythe

Postby bevy » Thu 8 May 2008 22:38 GMT

I remember being on a no BBC America year after they cancelled Eastenders because American's couldn't deal with the accents. You have to remember this is not the BBC as we knew it, but a company buying BBC stuff to air here. Their viewers are primarily American and in general they cater to the US sense of humor and interests. Those who were raised in a wider variety of media from raw documentaries to scary comedies are not really the average viewer here. Of course there is always so much to take out of Brit media, I mean we show more 'adult' shows in general that deal with real life. Some of it can be hard for the softer, child like humor and visuals that seems to be the average US pallette.

Get yourself an all region DVD player and have your friends treat you at Birthdays and Christmas!
Posted by:
bevy

I keep in touch with British stuff using Netflix

Postby Tygger2512 » Thu 25 Sep 2008 19:18 GMT

I highly recommend Netflix if you want to stay in touch with BBC TV comedies, movies and drama. They have a really impressive array that has helped me stay in touch with my roots since I moved to the US in 2002.
Posted by:
Tygger2512

Return to USA General Information