It is currently Wed 1 Apr 2020 11:56 GMT
Change font size

    Latest Message from British Expat:

  • UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

USA General Information

UK Citizen in UK with a US Pension... what to do?

Please post here if your question isn't specific to any USA region. Eg, immigrations, taxes etc.

UK Citizen in UK with a US Pension... what to do?

Postby mjenkins_expat » Thu 22 Nov 2007 21:52 GMT

As the title says I have a problem. I have about a reasonable sum of dollars sitting in a US 401k and when I left the states I decided to leave it there until I retired (30 years away). I have been told that this 401k is terminating (old company being bought out) and I have to roll it over to an IRA or cash it in.

I have been told I must complete a W-9 form before I can roll the sum of money over.. can I do this as I am not a US Citizen any more? Has anyone done this before and has any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Posted by:
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu 22 Nov 2007 21:44 GMT

Postby Texcelt » Fri 29 Aug 2008 06:09 GMT

This response is probably way too late for you, but here goes anyway.

In the present climate you'd be far better off cashing in for whatever you can get and taking your money to the UK. You get a far better return on it there.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Free member
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri 29 Aug 2008 04:18 GMT

Return to USA General Information