It is currently Thu 2 Apr 2020 06:25 GMT
Change font size

USA General Information

Getting car insurance with a British license

Please post here if your question isn't specific to any USA region. Eg, immigrations, taxes etc.

Getting car insurance with a British license

Postby blindlemonjeffer » Mon 23 Jun 2008 21:44 GMT

Hi there, I'm new to this forum and I was wondering whether any of you may be able to help me.

I'm about to purchase a car, and I'm trying to get myself insured. All the insurance companies I've spoken to have told me that my the cost of my policy depends on the amount of years I've been driving, rather than the country in which my license is held. I've been driving for 3 years in the UK, and if I can prove that I've been driving accident-free for this time, my insurance will be much cheaper.

Unfortunately, the insurance company needs a driving history, which as far as I know, doesn't exist in Britain. The only thing I can think of doing is showing them my driving license (which shows that I have no points) and showing them paperwork from my insurance company which proves that I have a 3 year no claims bonus. This doesn't seem to be enough for them though, as there's no way of proving that my counterpart driving license is current and up to date (I could be showing them a copy of my counterpart license from before I got any points). Has anyone else had a similar problem, and if so how did you deal with it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Adam
Posted by:
blindlemonjeffer

Postby Texcelt » Fri 29 Aug 2008 04:41 GMT

When I first arrived in the U.S. almost 4 years ago I had a driving record of 30+ years with no accidents in the U.K.

I think someon is shooting you a line there. If you have a foreign licence they just don't want to deal with it.

No one was interested at all in insuring me - I too could provide my clean U.K. license, and my paperwork from my U.K. insurer showing a full no-claims bonus. In the end, the only company that would insure me was Progressive. It was expensive, but the rate reduced a little once I got my U.S. driver's licence. When renewal came up Progressive were still the only company who would insure me because I didn't have a 3-year driving history in the U.S.

Your UK license doesn't have an expiration date on it?... they used to.

My guess is you'll just have to grin and bear the expensive rates until you rack up some driving history in this country. :(
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Texcelt
Free member

Postby nudger » Sat 2 May 2009 19:53 GMT

Similar story here. WE've just bought a car in California and the only companies that I found that were interested in insuring us were Progressive and Geico. Most of the others insisted on a US driving licence. Strange really when you consider that the standard of driving here is quite low compared to at home - and I never thought I would hear myself say that!

Depends on your state - but the process of getting the Californian licence is a piece of cake compared to what I remember of the UK one. Then again, I have years of driving experience behind me now so perhaps that's not very fair.

Like the previous poster said, you'll just have to take it until you have some "real American" history behind you - as with all things administrative I'm afraid....
Posted by:
nudger

Return to USA General Information