It is currently Fri 3 Apr 2020 10:17 GMT
Change font size

USA General Information

Visit to UK with USA born son on Britisdh passport!!

Please post here if your question isn't specific to any USA region. Eg, immigrations, taxes etc.

Visit to UK with USA born son on Britisdh passport!!

Postby chef2007 » Sat 20 Dec 2008 02:05 GMT

Can anyone offer some advice... my wife and I have permanent residency - we can apply for citizenship in August July my wife gave birth to our son (who has his own Social)... we are travelling back to the UK for xmas (10 days).... we applied for a British passport back at the end of November which has arrived TODAY! It states that he may struggle to re-enter the States without a US passport - we thought it would have been harder to enter the UK with him having a US p'port and us UK so we went the UK route (also finances meant only 1 p'port at mo!!). Does anyone have any suggestions on what we should do ref. re-entering the USA with him - we fly out Xmas eve and rtn 4th Jan.... We thought about taking birth certificate, social card with us but we are now concerned...
Posted by:
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat 20 Dec 2008 01:58 GMT

Postby Graeme » Sat 20 Dec 2008 04:40 GMT

Can you get any form of picture ID before you go? The birth cert is good as is the social, but they will be looking to see that he/she is the same kid that's on the cert and the card. If you can have photo id which identifies him to the birth cert then it becomes a lot easier. Perhaps a notarised photo of him might be enough provided you have it done before you leave (so it's stamped by a USA notary).
It may be dead simple anyhow if he is young enough, but sometimes those immigration guys get a bit carried away.
Good luck.
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 2129
Joined: Wed 1 Oct 2003 02:14 GMT
Location: British Columbia, Canada.

Return to USA General Information