It is currently Wed 1 Apr 2020 12:19 GMT
Change font size

    Latest Message from British Expat:

  • UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

USA General Information

Driving in US with UK licence?

Please post here if your question isn't specific to any USA region. Eg, immigrations, taxes etc.

Driving in US with UK licence?

Postby Mark1976 » Sat 27 Dec 2008 22:35 GMT


I've been in the US for two years but not driven here. I live in NYC and really have had no need until now. I'm planning a road trip.

Can you tell me if it's OK to use my UK licence? I heard you can only use it for the first year? Is this true?

Posted by:
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat 27 Dec 2008 22:06 GMT
Location: New York

Postby Graeme » Sun 28 Dec 2008 16:38 GMT

I'm not sure about the USA but I think it is the same as Canada, you can drive on your UK license for 3 months then you need to take the Canadian test. You can drive for the first year on your UK license but you need to have an international driving permit as well to do this. However if you are resident then this doesn't always work, it's good for Uni students in their first year, 1 year visa holders, but not permanent residents. Some states don't accept the international drivers license, here in Canada we will take the international driving permit, but we need to see your UK drivers license too, then any tickets or fines go against the UK license. Since you are resident over 1 year, you need to get your USA license, that may help with your green card application as well?
Good luck.
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 2129
Joined: Wed 1 Oct 2003 02:14 GMT
Location: British Columbia, Canada.

Return to USA General Information