It is currently Thu 2 Apr 2020 07:38 GMT
Change font size

USA General Information

Bed and Breakfast

Please post here if your question isn't specific to any USA region. Eg, immigrations, taxes etc.

Bed and Breakfast

Postby Alreadythere » Fri 16 Jan 2009 19:14 GMT

Hi,
are there any British people out there who have moved to the USA and started a B and B?

We are very keen to do this and would love to speak with someone who has already made the move. Unfortunately we do not have any close relatives living in the States and will be starting from scratch so to speak.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Posted by:
Alreadythere

Postby Graeme » Sat 17 Jan 2009 15:47 GMT

Bed and Breakfast is not really an American thing. I don't know if you've been to the USA but the vast majority of towns and cities have motels (and usually lots of them) right on the outskirts to catch the traveling public. These places are usually cheap, fairly clean, and there are always breakfast places nearby ranging from Dunkin Donuts, McDonald's and Ihop to Denny's. I think B and B would be a very small niche market in the USA, you'd need to be in a high draw area like a sea side resort town, an area of natural beauty like Sedona or in an older city where there is a shortage of hotels. You'll certainly need to do your research on this one.
Good luck.
:)
Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Bed and Breakfast

Postby Alreadythere » Sat 17 Jan 2009 17:48 GMT

Hi Graeme,

thank you so much for your reply. We holiday in the USA every year and always stay in Bed and Breakfasts. Maybe you know them as Inns? They have ranged in size from one to six bedrooms. They all pride themselves on their 'gourmet' breakfasts. It is a wonderful way to travel because of the interaction with the hosts and the rooms are usually lovely, often in historic homes.

Anyway, I appreciate you taking the time to reply, have a great day!
Posted by:
Alreadythere

Return to USA General Information