It is currently Thu 2 Apr 2020 20:14 GMT
Change font size

USA General Information

Car Insurance

Please post here if your question isn't specific to any USA region. Eg, immigrations, taxes etc.

Car Insurance

Postby t7pdd » Sat 11 Jul 2009 20:56 GMT

I will be moving to Jersey City in ten days, I have a car lined up however I am having difficulty understanding the legal requirements re UK licence, Internation driving Permit or do i need a NJ one ???

Also any advice on Auto insurance ??
Posted by:
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat 11 Jul 2009 20:45 GMT
Location: Jersey City

Postby Graeme » Mon 13 Jul 2009 00:11 GMT

Depends on your length of stay really, under one year you should be fine on an international permit, any longer than that, then after three months (usually) you need to get a US DL. Best bet is to ask at the driver license office, where they are renowned for their attitude towards customer service (very tongue in cheek here, they are known to be absolutely awful to deal with).
Insurance you will need to sort out when you get there, there are so many different levels of coverage and so many companies......good luck.

Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 2129
Joined: Wed 1 Oct 2003 02:14 GMT
Location: British Columbia, Canada.

Return to USA General Information