It is currently Thu 2 Apr 2020 06:45 GMT
Change font size

USA General Information

coming to america help please help please

Please post here if your question isn't specific to any USA region. Eg, immigrations, taxes etc.

coming to america help please help please

Postby peterpan312 » Tue 20 Oct 2009 15:49 GMT

hi im 22. im from the uk. my girlfriend is american and is a student in the uk. we are going on holiday to america but we want to marry in l.vegas and then stay in america forever?

will there be any problems? i.e work
Posted by:
peterpan312

Postby Graeme » Tue 20 Oct 2009 23:40 GMT

You will most likely need a license to marry in Vegas, as to staying you may have problems there. Marriage of convenience is common in the USA and the immigration people are acutely aware of problems along these lines, they will investigate you thoroughly and there is no guarantee you will get a green card after. You can always work for money under the table, but that again is another good reason for the IRS to seek you out and deport you. Be very careful who you tell about your plans, try to do some proper foot work before hand and, really, -go back to Uni and get a proper education!! (that's my dad side talking).
Good luck.
Graeme
:)
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby cgreensmith » Tue 8 Dec 2009 14:58 GMT

You would still have to go back to the UK until a long term relationship can be proven to immigration.
Posted by:
cgreensmith

Return to USA General Information