It is currently Mon 30 Mar 2020 07:19 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

USA General Information

Do I Have To Pay For I-751 Form?

Please post here if your question isn't specific to any USA region. Eg, immigrations, taxes etc.

Do I Have To Pay For I-751 Form?

Postby San-Antonio-Brit » Thu 24 Dec 2009 08:37 GMT

Hi all,
I entered the USA as a conditional permanent resident in April '08 and paid over $2000 for an immigration lawyer to take care of the entire process. It was agreed that this fee would cover my entire application "from beginning to end", which my husband and I understood to mean from start of application through to obtaining citizenship.
However, today I received a letter from U.S.C.I.S informing me that I need to send off the form I-751 to remove the conditions of my residence. When I looked online to see exactly what this entailed, I was shocked to see a $545 "filing fee" associated with submitting this form.
As usual, my lawyer is away from the office for the holidays, so I am unable to get in touch with him, and I wondered if any one on here knows if I still need to pay this fee, or whether my lawyer would have this covered with the initial amount I paid him for my application.
Surely to God I don't need to pay this $545 in addition to the $2000+ I paid my lawyer to DO all this for me??
Can anyone help, please... I'm extremely worried because DH and I are struggling financially at the moment.
Thanks in advance.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
San-Antonio-Brit
Free member

Postby gozomark » Sat 26 Dec 2009 17:33 GMT

Hi

I suspect none of us can say, as it depends on what exactly is specified in your contract with the lawyer. Is the filing fee a fee to the lawyer, or an official filing fee ?
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Return to USA General Information