It is currently Fri 3 Apr 2020 10:45 GMT
Change font size

USA General Information

Converting UK degree to US equivalent

Please post here if your question isn't specific to any USA region. Eg, immigrations, taxes etc.

Converting UK degree to US equivalent

Postby kishmish » Fri 8 Jan 2010 19:54 GMT

I've had my UK degree converted to the US equivalent to be able to enrol for a postgrad course; I got a 2.1 in undergrad in the UK, which I consider a decent degree. Because of the way they grade degrees in the US, they've given me a GPA (based on the transcripts my UK University provided me) of 2.36 - not enough to do the course I want to do in the US nor apply for some jobs. Has anybody had this problem??? Is there an agency that will convert in a way that is more reflective of the UK system?
Posted by:
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri 8 Jan 2010 19:47 GMT

Postby Graeme » Fri 8 Jan 2010 20:48 GMT

Was the conversion through the University you're applying to or through a credentialing agency? If an agency there are many of them and they have varying standards which really means that you need to pick a credentialing agency recommended by the Uni you want to be at. You can occasionally argue your point with the agencies but most times their decisions are cast in stone. I have noticed that they don't grant proper equivalency to UK grads, mainly because they fallaciously believe that their system is better. :?
Good luck

Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 2129
Joined: Wed 1 Oct 2003 02:14 GMT
Location: British Columbia, Canada.

Postby britoutofwater » Fri 2 Apr 2010 17:25 GMT

Have you checked with the university you're applying to that you need to convert your UK degree into the US GPA equivalent? When I applied to the university that I'm currently at (with a 2:1) they told me just to put that on my forms and that they would work it out.
Posted by:
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue 9 Jan 2007 17:07 GMT
Location: Oklahoma

Return to USA General Information