It is currently Fri 3 Apr 2020 11:55 GMT
Change font size

USA General Information

Do i need to surrender UK driving license for Colorado one

Please post here if your question isn't specific to any USA region. Eg, immigrations, taxes etc.

Do i need to surrender UK driving license for Colorado one

Postby markemark » Wed 21 Sep 2011 00:07 GMT

Hi, I've just become a PR of Colorado and want to find out if any one knows if i need to surrender my Uk driving license for the CO one.

CO DMV website doesn't have much info for foreign licenses..

Thanks in advance

Mark
Posted by:
markemark

Postby Graeme » Wed 21 Sep 2011 01:37 GMT

No idea for Colorado Mark, In Canada we do have to surrender the UK drivers licence when we get a Provincial one, but that's only in the provinces which have the reciprocity agreement with the UK. If there is no reciprocity and you don't just swap one licence for another, I'd hang on to the UK one if you can. Just don't ever show it to a cop if you are getting a speeding ticket, would be a bad move.
Cheers.
Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby ExpatAmi » Sat 15 Sep 2012 05:46 GMT

It's usually the other way around. Normally, the US won't care about non-US drivers licenses, while other nations might require that one shreds the US drivers license.
Posted by:
ExpatAmi

georgia license

Postby marknir » Fri 12 Oct 2012 03:42 GMT

When I moved here the local dmv took my uk drivers license and make me take the local driving tests :(
Posted by:
marknir

Return to USA General Information