It is currently Tue 31 Mar 2020 11:17 GMT
Change font size

    Latest Message from British Expat:

  • UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

USA General Information

Moving to the States with my partner - help!

Please post here if your question isn't specific to any USA region. Eg, immigrations, taxes etc.

Moving to the States with my partner - help!

Postby han86 » Mon 19 Mar 2012 15:14 GMT

Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help - I'm completely new to looking into moving to the US, and feel like I'm stumbling around blindly trying to find out bits of information!

My partner's business is looking to move him out to America, which happens to be somewhere I'd like to move to as well - however, as yet I don't have a job out there. We've been together a couple of years now, not married or engaged - and I can't seem to find anything about visas for partners anywhere...

Is there a visa where you can move out on your partner's business visa? (I'm aware that they do this in Australia), and then I could then get a job out there too? If so, does anyone know what that kind of visa would be called or what we'd need to do to get that?

Also, I heard somewhere that you have to prove that you have a certain amount of money saved up to be eligible to move there - is this true?

Are there any other eligibility bits that I might need to know?

Thanks :)

Posted by:
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon 19 Mar 2012 15:10 GMT
Location: England

Postby Dave » Tue 20 Mar 2012 03:10 GMT

Hi, and welcome.

I'm assuming that you've already looked at the visa pages on the US Embassy's website ( If there's nothing on there, then you might have to either ring them (for which they charge a premium rate - currently £1.23 a minute!) or write to them.

But I think it would be unusual for any country to grant a visa to a partner, since there's no legal relationship involved. (I'm pretty sure the UK doesn't.) And that might be the reason why you can't find any information.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 7267
Joined: Tue 21 Jan 2003 15:04 GMT
Location: Currently UK

Postby Graeme » Tue 20 Mar 2012 04:26 GMT

Hi Hannah, I think Dave's right, the reason that there is no information on the US visa web site is that they don't allow partners to move with their partners, you have to be married or in some form of legal relationship. I'm sure you can check this out with a quick call to the US embassy.
Good luck.
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 2129
Joined: Wed 1 Oct 2003 02:14 GMT
Location: British Columbia, Canada.

Return to USA General Information