It is currently Tue 7 Jul 2020 05:14 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

I won the lottery yesterday!

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

I won the lottery yesterday!

Postby Kay » Sun 10 May 2015 12:09 GMT

I decided on impulse to buy a couple of lottery tickets on Saturday, after all a windfall of a million quid or so would come in very handy. :mrgreen: And you've got to be in it to win it!

To my surprise, I won! Only £25 mind, but it's a start - and I've already bought my tickets for next Saturday. I'm the eternal optimist and figure that it's gotta be someone, so it might as well be me.

Does anyone else waste their money on futile hopes?
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Re: I won the lottery yesterday!

Postby JJ » Mon 11 May 2015 11:39 GMT

When the lottery started I fantasised what I'd do if I won various amounts and came to the conclusion that whatever I won I'd want to spend it many times over so it was pointless and I should be content with my lot. But I'm not, so when the EuroMillions is over 50m I usually buy one ticket because I'm reminded of this joke:

“There's this very pious Jew named Moishe who always dreamed of winning the lottery. Every Sabbath, he’d go to synagogue and pray: “God, I have been such a pious Jew all my life. I work hard and spend everything I earn on my wife and my children and the synagogue. What would be so bad if I won the lottery? I'd use most of the money to do good things for other people.”

But the lottery would come and Moishe wouldn’t win. Week after week, Moishe would pray to win the lottery, but the lottery would come and Moishe wouldn’t win.

Finally, Moishe passes away and at the gates of heaven he meets God and says: “God, I was so pious for so long, why did you never let me win the lottery?” And God replied “Moishe, you could have met me halfway and bought a ticket!”
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby Kay » Mon 11 May 2015 14:17 GMT

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

But that wouldn't happen to me. I'd already selected the house I would buy if I won, so I'd know what to spend my million on.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... 05138.html

Look at the floor plan!

OK, I wouldn't really. I had enough of a big house and too many domestic staff in our previous life. Just a nice little place that could feel like home would do me fine. Apparently the newsagent, who sold Dave my ticket, was very happy to stump up the cash (not his, of course) and pleased he'd sold a winning ticket.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Mon 11 May 2015 14:20 GMT

PS: I like how the wine cellar is very close to the office! :twisted:
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby dave dee » Mon 11 May 2015 20:38 GMT

Kay, that's my house, call me I'll do you a deal. :roll:
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby Kay » Mon 11 May 2015 22:30 GMT

Ha! You can't fool me, Dave. I don't believe that's your house. And I'll tell you how I know.

Because you can cook. And a good cook would never have their kitchen set up like that. What decent cook would put a dining table in the middle of the work triangle? :shock: (See photo #2)

Just call me Sherlock. :twisted:

But if it really is yours, I'm interested if you lend me a million quid or so to buy it off you. Actually, that house is quite cheap at the price. I've seen some for sale at more than ten times that amount (and the rest).
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby dave dee » Tue 12 May 2015 05:47 GMT

You're very perceptive Kay, it is not my house but it looks an absolute bargain, for such a beautiful property, wish I could afford it,,My wife won on the Euromillions when we were in the U.K. recently, luckily a small amount, I would hate the disappointment of winning the jackpot and the ability to be collecting it as non U.K.residents.
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby Kay » Tue 12 May 2015 08:33 GMT

You could trust me, Dave. I'd collect your winnings for you. (For a small fee.) :twisted:

I agree, it looks like an absolute bargain for what it is. You could pay that much for a fairly ordinary 4 bed detached in some parts of Surrey, or maybe get a 1 bed flat in some parts of London for the price.

IMO, it's too big for a family home (for most people), but I bet it could be put to some very creative uses. Given planning permission, it could make a super restaurant, or possibly some kind of artist/writer retreat. All kinds of things.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed 13 May 2015 06:18 GMT

Boutique hotel? With it being in the Historic Dockyard, I'm sure it would get a steady flow of visitors.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Chinwags