It is currently Sat 4 Jul 2020 17:24 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Rude place names in Britain

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Rude place names in Britain

Postby Kay » Sat 27 Jun 2015 12:46 GMT

Have you tried our latest quick quiz?

Five questions to see what you know of rude place names in Britain.

http://britishexpat.com/expat-uk/five-rude-place-names/
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Re: Rude place names in Britain

Postby Dave » Sun 28 Jun 2015 06:13 GMT

I'd heard of a couple of them, thanks to Viz. But I'd got no idea where most of them were - although I was at school not too far away from Minge Lane.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Thu 2 Jul 2015 02:50 GMT

NOt sure about the UK anymore, but I live near "The Knob" and there's a Beaver Falls not too far away, but I guess Beaver has a different connotation here than it does in the UK :oops:
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Fri 3 Jul 2015 18:04 GMT

We like to visit Kent at the weekends when we get the chance and we often pass a sign that says "Badgers Mount, Pratts Bottom", which we thought was very funny. Just our twisted sense of humour, I suppose, but it made us laugh anyway. Did you try the quiz?

Apparently living in a place with an "embarrassing" address lowers the value of the property. I dunno if I would be that bothered about it, but a good address does seem desirable somehow even if it's just a name.

We noticed a street called "Sea View Road" recently - it was probably about 100 miles inland so goodness knows why it was called that. Mind you, it sounds like a nice address to have, especially if people don't realise where it is.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Sat 4 Jul 2015 07:34 GMT

Still on the subject of names, I came across this article about house names. I thought it was very interesting so it would be worth sharing here.

http://www.mouseprice.com/info/articles ... use-names/
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sat 4 Jul 2015 08:11 GMT

Very interesting!

The house I was born in had a name rather than a number, as did/do most of the houses in the road. Since the Royal Mail postcode finder lists the names rather than number, it looks as if the road falls into the category of "regions where houses are only named".

I rather like the idea of houses with long-established names, but I do find it a bit twee to give a house a name if it's a modern-built house in the midst of several others just like it. Still, if it makes the householder happy, why not?
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Chinwags