It is currently Mon 25 May 2020 22:03 GMT
Change font size

Photographers and Artists

A cold morning!

Looks like we have a few photographers and artists in our midst so here's a place to talk about all photography, art, and related subjects.

A cold morning!

Postby Purley » Sun 18 Dec 2005 16:01 GMT

In HOF I posted a kind of joke/story about the snow in Saskatchewan. As I was having breakfast this morning, the sun was coming up and I took this photo --- and yes --- its as cold as it looks. Its 26 below. It was 26 below at 8 am and its now 10 am and its still 26 below!

Click on the photo for the bigger version.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby ikennedy » Sun 18 Dec 2005 19:30 GMT

Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
ikennedy
Free member

Postby Purley » Sun 18 Dec 2005 20:12 GMT

I have to admit - I like the garden one best! I am not a big fan of winter which is too bad considering it lasts so long here. I just find that now I am retired I like it a lot less.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby ikennedy » Sun 18 Dec 2005 20:27 GMT

fear enough
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
ikennedy
Free member

Postby Mike » Thu 22 Dec 2005 02:46 GMT

Liz - I really like that!

ikennedy, welcome here! I like your photos. I hope you'll share more with us.

A re-sized (thumb-size) pic in the body of the message, followed by a link (URL) to the full size image is the best route to follow.

Unfortunately, my Photobucket guide has been deleted, because the owners of this site have found an alternative (presumably a sponsor).

Where it is or what it is escapes me.

I began this reply, with the best of intentions, trying to help. But as I write I realise I've been away too long. Seems Photobucket is no longer welcome here.

I don't know what has replaced it, and I am sorry for wasting your time. Obviously, I could have deleted my post when I realised I was talking about something which was no longer extant here.

But my Photobucket tutorial has disappeared. I have absolutely no idea what alternative is on offer - some box thing, apparently.

There are times I wonder why I bother.

Mike
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby Dave » Thu 22 Dec 2005 08:57 GMT

You may remember that we discussed all this some time ago, Mike. Of course we've got no objection to people using Photobucket if that's what they're used to; nor are we expecting people to ditch their existing service in favour of Photobox, nice though that would be for us. But we hope newcomers who don't have an online image storage service will sign up for Photobox - like many of the others, it's free, but people who sign up earn us a respectable amount of commission at no extra cost to themselves. Given that we're trying to make a living from running this site, I don't see anything wrong in promoting a particular service in preference to others if it means we get a little more money out of it.

As you say, it's best to link to a large image, whether embedded in a thumbnail or as a text link below it - if it's a lengthy link, then better to wrap it round the thumbnail.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Thu 22 Dec 2005 10:12 GMT

For info:

We receive 60p every time a new customer, not previously registered with them, signs up for PhotoBox. Sign up is free and no credit card details are required.

From their blurb to affiliates:
Customers sign up for free and without obligation and are given free online album space for storing and sharing digital photos, as well as 10 free prints. Members can order copies of their own photos via PhotoBox’s fast and economical print processing. They can also share their photos with friends and family by email or to a mobile phone for free.

[Edited to add: you get ten free prints when you sign up - no catch. However, they do expect you to pay the P&P.]

We also receive £1.50 for the first sale, if there ever is one, made by a customer referred by us.

Again from their blurb:
PhotoBox, launched in 2000, was the first online photo service in the UK and Ireland. They consistently win best of breed industry awards, and most recently Revolution’s 2005 Best Online Retailer. PhotoBox has grown to become the UK’s market leading online photo service.

PhotoBox are obsessed with quality and have one more awards than any other online photo site. They offer the quick turn around – when members order standard sized prints by 4pm Monday to Friday they are posted the same working day by first class post - 90% of standard print orders arrive on the doormat next morning. With a real customer service team at hand when you need them (no call centres) - you can speak to a real person Monday to Friday, or email any day of the year and get a response within 4hrs.

Since Photobucket doesn't have any "about us" info on their site, I've just had to guess what they're about. They started in 2003 and judging by their spelling are presumably American.

We prefer to recommend PhotoBox. I can't see any reason not to.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to Photographers and Artists