It is currently Tue 14 Jul 2020 11:11 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

GMT?

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

GMT?

Postby justajester » Wed 6 Aug 2003 19:03 GMT

I've just been visiting a site called heavensabove, where u enter your town or city and it tells you the exact latitude and longitude as well as what's happening in the skies above, in real time. It also said that because i am at atlantic time i am [/b]-3 hours GMT...all this time i thought i was 4 hours behind...no wonder i am soooooooo confused :oops:
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Re: GMT?

Postby Victor » Wed 6 Aug 2003 19:09 GMT

nora wrote:I've just been visiting a site called heavensabove, where u enter your town or city and it tells you the exact latitude and longitude as well as what's happening in the skies above, in real time. It also said that because i am at atlantic time i am [/b]-3 hours GMT...all this time i thought i was 4 hours behind...no wonder i am soooooooo confused :oops:

I work with the guy who owns heavensabove. We both work at the German Space Operations Center near Munich. The current GMT time is 19:08 as I type. Local time CET is 21:08
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Victor
Free member

Postby justajester » Wed 6 Aug 2003 19:18 GMT

Time check for here...16:15...thanks victor... heavensabove is one of my bookmarked sites...itry to go there each day, but at least a couple of times a week.
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby Kay » Wed 6 Aug 2003 20:07 GMT

I work with the guy who owns heavensabove. We both work at the German Space Operations Center near Munich.

It sounds like you have an interesting job, Victor. Is there anything you can tell us about your work? What about Mars in August - or is that not the kind of thing you're interested in?

Just asking for general info, of course, if you're doing secret squirrel stuff then I apologise for mentioning it. But seriously, it sounds fascinating.

Kay 8)

Your friend in Delhi. ROFLMAO!
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby justajester » Wed 6 Aug 2003 20:16 GMT

It does sound fascinating, doesn't it? The whole space thing is soooooooo interesting. BTW, do we have a sci-fi or a trek forum? (just an aside) The site i mentioned earlier is one i regularly go to, so check it out if you are interested in the heavenlies.
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby Victor » Thu 7 Aug 2003 00:12 GMT

Hi Kay,

No its not really interesting! My forst project was ROSAT, an x-ray telescope which was launched 1 June 1990. It died in 1997 after discovering over 100,000 new x-ray sources in the stars.

Now I work with the Grace system, Bird and Champ.

Here is the home page for where I work, there is a link to english pages http://www.dlr.de There is a link to English pages. Then go to space flight.

Portugal on fire

If you google BIRD, CHAMP or GRACE you should find load of info.
taken by Bird on Monday.
Last edited by Victor on Thu 7 Aug 2003 00:18 GMT, edited 2 times in total.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Victor
Free member

Postby Victor » Thu 7 Aug 2003 00:15 GMT

nora wrote:Time check for here...16:15...thanks victor... heavensabove is one of my bookmarked sites...itry to go there each day, but at least a couple of times a week.

heres anotherone for you to keep an eye on. http://www.spaceflightnow.com/
Posted by:
Victor
Free member

Postby Squiffy » Thu 7 Aug 2003 07:47 GMT

Hi Guys

Have posted a new thread with regards the Mars/Earth Proximity this month with a link to a good website about it.

cheers

squiffs
Squiffy - Laugh for MS - : http://www.shof.msrcsites.co.uk/
Posted by:
Squiffy
Supporter

Postby chabrenas » Thu 7 Aug 2003 08:49 GMT

Portugal on fire

If that is where I think it is, it's really HAIRY. I drove from Valladolid to Oporto, and the region by the border is stunning, with steep roads winding through EUCALYPTUS PLANTATIONS.
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Re: GMT?

Postby Dave » Fri 8 Aug 2003 11:18 GMT

justajester2003 wrote:I've just been visiting a site called heavensabove, where u enter your town or city and it tells you the exact latitude and longitude as well as what's happening in the skies above, in real time. It also said that because i am at atlantic time i am -3 hours GMT...all this time i thought i was 4 hours behind...no wonder i am soooooooo confused :oops:

Nora, do you have Daylight Saving Time where you are? If so, that might account for the difference if heavensabove corrects for DST (which it sounds as if it does) when giving your local time.

GMT (or Universal Time, or UTC) remains the same all year round - something which confuses quite a few of my colleagues in London and overseas when they're trying to communicate with each other. :wink:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby chabrenas » Fri 8 Aug 2003 18:50 GMT

We both work at the German Space Operations Center

Just in case I'm in the areaa again within the next year or so, where is the Centre? Presumably over in the foothills somewhere.
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Postby Victor » Fri 8 Aug 2003 19:09 GMT

Next to Gilching, about 25KM west of Munich just of the A96, next to the ex Dorniers/fairchild airfield. The ground station (antennas) are near Weilheim.

If you are in the area give ne a call and I will show you the control rooms (subject to current mission statuses).
Posted by:
Victor
Free member

Postby justajester » Fri 8 Aug 2003 20:48 GMT

Dave, yes we do have DST, but i thought we did that in the winter? ARghh!! i get soooooooo confused with this time thingie...maybe that's why all those time/space continuim (sp) made some sense to me. Am i on DST now, or Atlantic time?

Victor, it still sounds exciting to me... :wink:
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby Squiffy » Fri 8 Aug 2003 22:13 GMT

justajester2003 wrote:Dave, yes we do have DST, but i thought we did that in the winter? ARghh!! i get soooooooo confused with this time thingie...maybe that's why all those time/space continuim (sp) made some sense to me. Am i on DST now, or Atlantic time?

Victor, it still sounds exciting to me... :wink:

Jeesh, blonde/woman/wrinkly.................what a combination :twisted: :twisted:
Squiffy - Laugh for MS - : http://www.shof.msrcsites.co.uk/
Posted by:
Squiffy
Supporter

Postby justajester » Fri 8 Aug 2003 22:42 GMT

Jeesh, blonde/woman/wrinkly.................what a combination

Ok for you, buddy ...your day will come...*sings softly and looks innocent*
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Next