It is currently Wed 8 Apr 2020 22:53 GMT
Change font size

Photographers and Artists

It's been a long time since I submitted for POTW

Looks like we have a few photographers and artists in our midst so here's a place to talk about all photography, art, and related subjects.

It's been a long time since I submitted for POTW

Postby Savannah_Alan » Mon 21 Sep 2009 04:48 GMT

We've had really heavy rain for nearly two weeks here in Georgia.
For the first time in ages, I decided to take a day of recreational photography - and I wasn't going to let the rain get in the way!

This is an old mill up in the mountains near where I live. Lots of areas were flooding and it was just too much for this mill to handle.

Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby Dave » Mon 21 Sep 2009 08:07 GMT

Brilliant! Thanks a lot, Alan - nice pic.

I'll get cracking! :-D
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Mon 21 Sep 2009 09:38 GMT

Thanks, Alan. :D
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Mon 21 Sep 2009 10:11 GMT

OK, it's live now - you can see a thumbnail on the home page, and the full photo in all its glory on the Pic of the Week page.

Thanks again, Alan! :D
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Mon 28 Sep 2009 15:50 GMT

Atmosphere... Well done, Alan. Are you still doing bike photos at the track?
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Savannah_Alan » Mon 28 Sep 2009 17:03 GMT

Hi Mike. No, I stopped doing that at the end of last year. It just wasn't really worth it by the time I worked out the time spent there, hotel rooms, petrol, etc...
Too much effort for not enough reward. Still, it did pay for my D2H.

Talking of cameras, my trusty old D70s is really wanting to die. :(
I'm not sure if you remember, but a few years ago, I was shooting some waves against a cliff on the Isle of Wight when a huge wave came and dumped a hundred gallons or so on my head. :lol:

Miraculously, after a few days of sitting in an airing cupboard (the camera, not me), it came back to life. It's been on and off since then.

I used it for the shot above (and the eighty or so others I took that day), but it let me down again photographing Jean's grandchildren the other day. It just locks up and the last file becomes corrupted.

Now, that leaves me with the D2H, which is a FANTASTIC camera, but really a dedicated tool for sports and photojournalism. 4MP as well. The only other camera I have is an old 3Mpx Fuji "bridge" camera - and the iPhone.

Buying a shiny new DSLR is out of the question right now, so I've been looking at second hand - or a compact/bridge camera.
The trouble with compacts/P&S is that I guess I'm too much of a snob and see all the glaring faults with them. I've always liked the idea of the Canon G Series and I'm currently watching an ebay auction for an old G6. They seem to be going very cheaply right now. I guess understandably because they're at least five years old now, but they're 7.1 Mpx and really a "prosumer" compact. I may dabble in one of these for a while.

Anybody here have any experience of the Canon G Series cameras?

Despite the fact that the D70s is really not worth much now, I may look into getting it fixed. Mostly just for sentimental reasons. We've been through a lot - me and that camera - and it was a gift from my ex-wife.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Mon 5 Oct 2009 19:43 GMT

Talking of iPhones...

I've just been talking to a guy who uses one, and seeing what it can do. Amazing.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Savannah_Alan » Mon 5 Oct 2009 21:32 GMT

Yes, the iPhone is pretty amazing. I have mixed feelings about supporting anything with such closed software, but I must admit, it's pretty damn slick.
I'm very pleased with it.

I just dropped my poor old D70s at the repairer. I'm a little concerned because although this place was listed as an official Nikon repair centre, the place looked pretty run-down. I also forgot to bring a body cover (to plug the hole when the lens is removed), and I asked the guy if he had one to put on there. Despite bringing it up a couple of times, his only reply was: "Don't worry about it. It'll be fine", as he placed it in a box with the gaping hole and the mirror showing. :shock:
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Fri 9 Oct 2009 12:21 GMT

Maybe he works in a Clean Room. Did you have to take your shoes off at the door? I'll keep my fingers crossed. Wasn't that the camera featured in the Wasp Attack?
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Savannah_Alan » Fri 9 Oct 2009 14:31 GMT

:lol: Oh yes, it was featured in the hornet attack. I had forgotten about that.
It's certainly been through the mill, that camera.

After two days of having the camera, the shop called and said that it needed a new shutter and that it would be $225. As I was passing the shop, I called in to have a talk with them.

After pressing him a little, it turns out they haven't even opened the camera! The "new shutter" was just a quess "based on our extensive experience with these things".

Anyway, after a little negotiation, they said they'd repair whatever they find wrong with it for $195. They're really not filling me with confidence. :?
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Postby carolinedraper » Sat 10 Oct 2009 16:02 GMT

Rescue your camera, my husband is in tears over it.

Can you not ship it to another repair guy?

There are some great private sales at the moment that Steven is looking at all the time on L.L. If you do not know about it pm me. Most of the sales are in USA and some in Canada. Very reasonable, normally sold by ex studios or other commercial guys who are up grading. The recession is making the bottom drop out of the DSLr market esp in medium format. A great Phase One digital back went for $12,000 today and it is just under a year old. I know that seems a lot but that same back was $30,000 brand new!!
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
carolinedraper
Supporter

Return to Photographers and Artists