Want to move back to UK with my american spouse

Here's where to discuss the practicalities and issues involved in moving back to the UK.

Want to move back to UK with my american spouse

Postby nc3134 » Fri 07 Jan 2011 03:15


I am from the UK and have lived in the US for 9 years, i married my american spouse 3 months ago, my wife has a 5 year old daughter who will be moving with us also.
I'm not really sure how to get started with this and what i should do so any advice or information would be really great!!!
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri 07 Jan 2011 02:17
Location: Boston MA USA

Postby Dave » Fri 07 Jan 2011 07:26

Hi, and welcome. :-D

If you're planning to settle in the UK, the first thing you'll need to think about is getting your wife and her daughter the right to settle there with you. (Short-term visits are OK as the UK doesn't require US citizens to have a visa.) The UK Border Agency website has plenty of info about the conditions that you'll need to meet for that:

UKBA: Husbands, wives and civil partners

One of the conditions is that you'll need to prove that you can support yourselves without help from public funds - so you'll need either a job, or proof of substantial bank balances/income.

Good luck, anyway. :-)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 7267
Joined: Tue 21 Jan 2003 15:04
Location: Currently UK

Return to Repatriation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests