It is currently Wed 28 Oct 2020 06:28 GMT
Change font size

Photographers and Artists

Need to upgrade DSLR

Looks like we have a few photographers and artists in our midst so here's a place to talk about all photography, art, and related subjects.

Need to upgrade DSLR

Postby Kay » Sun 29 May 2011 07:15 GMT

I've had my Canon D60 for quite a long time and now it seems terribly slow at times. I'm thinking of upgrading. Dave did a bit of research and thinks that the 60D might be the best option.

Remember I have to go for Canon again so it's compatible with the lenses I already have. No problem, I've always been a Canon girl
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Tue 31 May 2011 12:40 GMT

Can't help - I haven't bought a digital SLR yet. It's looking less and less likely that I'll ever do so now, but I'll be interested to see what you end up with and how much you enjoy using it.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Mon 8 Aug 2011 22:03 GMT

Sorry, I forgot to come back and say that I did get the Canon 60D. Very nice, but I've not learned to use it properly yet. Dave fell heir to my old D60 and got himself a nice deal on a second-hand lens because I wanted to keep the lenses I already had. Nice lens but heavier than mine. I'll let him tell you about it.

I've had a few goes with the 60D, very nice, but after giving it a trial run at Angkor Wat I don't think that the photos I took were as good as the ones I had taken before with the older camera. That was probably me rather than the camera. The 60D is light and fast (it does video too, although I've never tried it), I'm just a bit overwhelmed by having to start from scratch with something that seems to require a degree in technology to use.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Tue 9 Aug 2011 03:33 GMT

It's not a bad lens - it's their EF 28-200 mm f3.5-5.6 USM zoom, and I got it for about £200. (I don't know what the original price was - they don't make it any more.) But yes, it's heavy. If I point the camera downwards I sometimes find I have to hold the lens at the zoom I want to stop it from slipping out further!

Some of the reviews online have been a bit disparaging over the performance round the edges at the higher end of the range, but so far I can't say I've noticed. And it's nice to have that extra focal length to help soften the background, even if it means I have to step back a bit to get the whole subject into the frame.

As for Kay's new camera, it produces nice crisp pictures. Part of that may be the sheer size of the image (5184x3456 pixels - nearly three times the size of the old camera's 3072x2048), part of it may be the image processing software. But her lens is a good one, too - another EF, their 28-105 mm f3.5-4.5 II USM, which seems to be almost universally highly rated.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby JJ » Tue 9 Aug 2011 13:36 GMT

Modern digital SLRs have a myriad of functions which can really cause problems if you select something special for a shoot and forget to reset it before next time.

If Kay's new camera is anything like the mid/high-end Nikons it'll have banks of shooting settings and a simple basic reset function. Take some time to set up some banks (if like Nikon) like for instance bank A - general purpose, auto colour balance, adjust everything as you go; B - landscapes, low ISO, 2/3 stop bracketing; C - night shooting, high ISO, incandescent colour balance; D - fireworks, high ISO, neutral colour balance etc. For B, C, D (or however many there are) substitute your own favourite situations - sport, water, indoor etc.

Thus you have a starting point for your three most common types of shooting and one for general purpose which you get used to resetting to default each time you go out. This way you're not left mystified by the settings you left it on last time or do something like shoot 50 frames of horse racing in blazing sun with the colour balance set to incandescent. I mean, who'd be so stupid as to do that?
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby Dave » Tue 9 Aug 2011 15:25 GMT

It always infuriates Kay when I don't leave her camera at her customary setting. :oops: No wonder she was happy to pass one on to me and tell me it was mine.

The 60D isn't high-end particularly - as far as I can tell, it's pitched round about at the same level as the Nikon D90, but doesn't seem to have as many functions. (Then again, Kay's always told me that the quality of the glass is what sets Canon apart, so maybe the functions are Nikon's big selling point?) I think there's one C setting which you can program to your own preferred options; otherwise you have to use the basic programming options Canon provide, or do it all manually.

"My" D60 doesn't even have that. So I tend to leave it set on "M" most of the time, or stick it on "P" or the magic green rectangle where time is of the essence. But I'm still working out how to make the best use of it, and that's after we've had it for nearly nine years. And the D60's relatively simple compared to the 60D.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby altyfc » Thu 11 Aug 2011 12:46 GMT

We'll have to compare notes, Kay, as I have the Canon 60D. Have had it probably nearly a year now and v. pleased with it so far though still learning.

I'd recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EOS-60D-S ... 713&sr=8-1

Beats using the manual. :)
UK Travel Offers - updated with lots of new offers every day
Posted by:
altyfc
Premium Member

Postby altyfc » Thu 11 Aug 2011 12:52 GMT

Correction... think mine is the 50D (but much the same).
UK Travel Offers - updated with lots of new offers every day
Posted by:
altyfc
Premium Member

Return to Photographers and Artists