Korea’s historical nickname was the “Hermit Kingdom”, so it’s maybe easy to see why not many people know much about it – particularly the secretive Democratic People’s Republic of Korea in the North. But the Republic of Korea – South Korea – is a different matter altogether, yet many people might struggle to get beyond what they remember from watching M*A*S*H. How much do you know about the peninsula also known as the Land of the Morning Calm?
- How does Korea’s hangul writing system differ from Chinese or Japanese characters?
- K-Pop singer Psy won the Internet in 2014 when his catchy 2012 song “Gangnam Style” broke YouTube’s counter. Who or what is Gangnam?
- Which Korean former career diplomat succeeded Kofi Annan as Secretary-General of the United Nations from 2007 to 2016?
- Chronologically, what do Koreans have in common with racehorses?
- What are modern Korean chopsticks usually made of?