How much do you know about farming in Edwardian Britain? Probably not a lot, but it’s an interesting subject! Inspired by the book Edwardian Farm, which was based on a BBC TV series about rural life in Devonshire at the turn of the century, we created this quiz. We think it’s quite difficult, but have a go and let us know how you get on! (You can use the comment form on the answers page.)
- What is “wattling” or “wattle work”?
- What was neat’s foot oil generally used for?
- The Devon Longwool is a polled breed of sheep. What does “polled” mean?
- Coastal farmers of this era often supplemented their diet – and their income – by fishing. Stargazy pie, traditionally made from pilchards and six other fish, is one of the most famous dishes of the time, but was not an everyday meal. On which date was it traditionally eaten?
- What “health product” created at this time was Dr Gustav Jäger most famous for?