With the clocks going back this weekend our thoughts turned to seasonality and then to bird migration. How much do you know about our feathered friends’ peregrinations? Take our Quick Quiz and find out if you’re a high flier or a lame duck.
- Which species holds the long distance record for bird migration?
- Migration’s still not fully understood. But how did Aristotle (384-322 BCE) explain the disappearance of some bird species in winter?
- He knew they migrated
- He thought they transmogrified (changed into different species)
- He thought they hibernated
- All of the above
- Approximately what percentage of bird species are long-distance (transcontinental) migrants?
- What is the name given to the flight path of migratory birds?
- In terms of migration, what do dusky grouse and emus have in common?