Pic of the Week: 30 April 2016
by gaschwald © 2016
The Lighthouse at the harbour entrance at Lindau, on Lake Constance near where Germany, Austria and Switzerland meet.
Lindau (formerly Lindau im Bodensee) is one of southern Germany’s major tourist destinations. The old town is entirely on an island in Lake Constance (German: Bodensee), the large lake on the Rhine that’s shared between Germany, Switzerland and (in its south-eastern corner) Austria. Uniquely in Europe, there are no national borders in Lake Constance, because none of the three states can agree where the borders should run.
The lighthouse stands at the end of one of two moles protecting the harbour. At the end of the other mole (not seen here) stands a large statue of a lion, symbol of Bavaria – the German Land to which Lindau has belonged since 1805. Before that, it was an Imperial free city (Reichsstadt) within the Holy Roman Empire for over 500 years.